主题

36万

帖子

109万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 22:59:32 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Step 1 过目一下新词,先混个脸熟;推荐使用金山词霸,跟读每个发音;特别陌生的单词请在纸上拼写一下:)
  equal vt.等于
  start n. 惊起
  vicar n.牧师
  torchlight n.电筒光
  raise vt.筹集
  recognize vt.认出
  figure n.人影
  cause n.事业
  grocer n.杂货商
  silent a.无声的
  manage to 设法,达成
  catch sight of 瞥见
  in surprise 惊奇地
  Step 2 把单词放课文中过一遍,课文中有不认识的单词记得摘录出来
  Thirteen equals one
  Our vicar is always raising money for one cause or another, but he has never managed to get enough money to have the church clock repaired. The big clock which used to strike the hours day and night was damaged many years ago and has been silent ever since.
  One night, however, our vicar woke up with a start: the clock was striking the hours! Looking at his watch, he saw that it was one o'clock, but the bell struck thirteen times before it stopped. Armed with a torch, the vicar went up into the clock tower to see what was going on. In the torchlight, he caught sight of a figure whom he immediately recognized as Bill Wilkins, our local grocer.
  'Whatever are you doing up here Bill ?' asked the vicar in surprise.
  ' I'm trying to repair the bell,' answered Bill.' I've been coming up here night after night for weeks now. You see, I was hoping to give you a surprise.'
  'You certainly did give me a surprise!' said the vicar. 'You've probably woken up everyone in the village as well. Still, I'm glad the bell is working again.'
  'That's the trouble, vicar,' answered Bill. 'It's working all right, but I'm afraid that at one o'clock it will strike thirteen times and there's nothing I can do about it.'
  'We'll get used to that, Bill,' said the vicar. 'Thirteen is not as good as one, but it's better than nothing. Now let's go downstairs and have a cup of tea.'
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-11 16:43 , Processed in 0.073994 second(s), 7 queries , WinCache On.