论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 17:27:08 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  《英语周报大学综合版》大学英语四级考试模拟试题(11)
          听力部分
          English Weekly CET-4 Listening Practice Test 11
          Part III Listening Comprehension
          Section A
          Directions: In this section, you will hear 8 short conversations and 2 long conversations. At the end of each conversation, one or more questions will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A), B), C) and D), and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 2 with a single line through the centre.
          11. M: I’ve been trying to solve this puzzle for hours, but I just can’t seem to get it.
          W: Well, if you can’t, I won’t stand a chance.
          Q: What does the woman imply?
          12. W: I think this coat is a great color. And the price is certainly right.
          M: How about the weight, though? Remember we’re supposed to have a really severe winter this year.
          Q: What does the man imply about the coat?
          13. M: These cookies are wonderful and the price is reasonable. Are they made by Johnson Corporation?
          W: You’re welcome to one if you’d like. They have just been delivered here.
          Q: What does the woman mean?
          14. M: I spend so much time polishing my letter of application.
          W: It’s worthwhile to make the effort. You know just how important it is to give a good first impression.
          Q: What do we know about the man?
          15. M: Those trees in front of your house are beautiful.
          W: Yeah, and useful as well. They cut down on the need for air conditioning.
          Q: What does the woman mean?
          16. W: How do you like the car I just bought?
          M: Well, it seems to run well, but I think it needs a new paint job.
          Q: What does the man think of the car?
          17. W: When I go on a diet, I eat only fruit, and that takes off weight quickly.
          M: I prefer to eat whatever I want, and then run regularly to lose weight.
          Q: How does the man control his weight?
          18. W: All of your classmates seemed so enthusiastic about running in the race.
          M: But in the end , three of them actually took part in it.
          Q: What does the man say about his classmates?
          Now you’ll hear two long conversations.
          Conversation One
          W: Hello, Walker Company, can I help you?
          M: Yes, is Mr. Walker there?
          W: Sorry, he is not in at the moment.
          M: Oh, will he be back this morning? I need to see him today.
          W: I’m afraid not. Shall I take a message for you?
          M: OK. Tell him Tom Gamble from CTV 4 wants to talk with him about the video tapes of your company.
          W: Yes, Mr. Gamble, your surname is spelled...?
          M: G-a-m-b-1-e, Gamble.
          W: Ok, Mr. Gamble. And what's your telephone number please?

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 18:38:47 | 显示全部楼层

M: He might know it. Well, let him call 4479626, area code, 413.
          W: 413-4479662
          M: No, 4479626
          W: Sorry. 4479626
          M: Extension 162
          W: Got it, extension 162.
          M: Thank you. Do tell him to call back when you see him.
          W: Sure. Bye Bye.
          M:Good-bye.
          Questions 19 to 21 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
          19. Who made the phone call?
          20. What is the caller’s telephone number?
          21. What does the caller want to do?
          Conversation Two
          M: Math Department, Doctor Winston speaking.
          W: Hello, Prof. Winston. This is Eliza Smith calling. I live two doors down from your teaching assistant, David Williams. David asked me to call you because he lost his voice and can't talk to you himself.
          M: Lost his voice? Oh, what a shame! Is there anything I can do for him?
          W: Well, he has a class this afternoon from 2:30 to 4:00 and he won't be able to teach it, but he doesn't want to cancel it either.
          M: Want me to try to find somebody else to teach the class?
          W: No, not exactly. What he wants to do is to get someone to go in for him, just to pass back the mid-term exams. He's already marked them and they are on the desk in his office. The whole thing wouldn't take more than ten minutes.
          M: His class is at 2:30, eh? Well at that time I am going to be on campus anyway, so I can do it for him. What room is his class in?
          W: Building 4, room 214. Will you need his office key to get the exams? He's given it to me and I could bring it to you.
          M: Actually, that won't be necessary. We have a master key in the math department, so I can get into his office if necessary.
          W:Thanks very much, Prof. Winston. David doesn't have another class to teach until Tuesday, and hopefully, he will be able to talk by then. He'll call you as soon as he can. Oh, yes, I almost forgot. Could you put the next assignment on the board, too? It's all the problems on Page 45, and they are due at the next class.
          M: No trouble at all. Thanks for passing all the news about David, and please tell him not to worry about anything.
          Questions 22 to 25 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
          22. What's wrong with David?
          23. What favor does David want someone to do for him?
          24. What does Eliza offer to do?
          25. What does Eliza almost forget to ask Professor Winston?
          Section B
          Directions: In this section, you will hear 3 short passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear some questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 2 with a single line through the centre.
          Passage One
          North Korea's famine, poverty and other problems have brought the nation's health care system close to collapsing and sharply boosted the mortality rates. The U. N.’s top health official talked with reporters in Beijing about her trip to North Korea in the last week.
          The head of the World Health Organization, Gro Harlem Brundtland, says malaria has infected up to 300, 000 North Koreans, with tuberculosis striking tens of thousands more. And North Korean medical facilities do not have the means to treat many of the infected.
          Dr. Brundtland brought a delivery of medication to North Korea that will make it possible to treat thousands of victims.
          Malaria was once nearly eliminated in North Korea, but years of famine, natural disasters, and economic mismanagement have allowed the scourge to reappear in South Korea.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 20:13:54 | 显示全部楼层

Dr. Brundtland says the diseases are one reason the death rate for North Koreans has risen about 35 percent in recent years.
          The U. N. health chief urged North Korea's foreign and health ministers to spend more money on health care, but acknowledged the international community will have to step in with millions of dollars to make a difference. "These are not overdone appeals and it is in no way more than needed, so that is a challenge," she said.
          During her trip to North Korea, Dr. Brundtland opened the U. N. World Health Organization's first permanent office in Pyongyang.
          Questions 26 to 28 are based on the passage you have just heard.
          26. What kind of disease has reappeared in North Korea?
          27. Which has not been mentioned in this passage as having a bad effect on North Korea's health care system?
          28. Which of the following statements is not true according to the passage?
          Passage Two
          In sports, the sexes are separate, because women are weaker than men. That is what people say. Women are called "the weaker sex," or, if men want to please them, "the fair sex.” But boys and girls are taught together at schools and universities. There are women who are famous Prime Ministers, scientists and writers. And women live longer than men. A European woman can expect to live until the age of seventy-four, and a man, only until he is sixty-eight. Are women's bodies really weaker? .
          The fastest men can run a mile in under four minutes. The best women need four and a half minutes. Women's times are always slower than men's, but some facts are a surprise. Some of the fastest women swimmers today are teenage girls. This does not mean that women are catching up with men. Conditions are very different now, and sports have become much more serious. It is so serious that some women athletes are given hormone injections. At the Olympics, a doctor has to check whether the women athletes are really women or not. It seems sad that sports have such problems. Life can be very complicated when there are two separate sexes! .
          Questions 29 to 32 are based on the passage you have just heard.
          29. Why are women called "the weaker sex"?
          30. According to the passage, what do men mean when they call women “the fair sex” ?
          31. Who are the fastest women swimmers?
          32. What does the author really think of the Olympics?
          Passage Three
          In the history of the human race, the use of prisons as punishment for crimes is of fairly recent origin. A long time ago, prisons were merely places of preliminary detention. People were locked up in them to wait for torture, death, or other cruel punishment. In the late Middle Ages, the people of Europe became angry about the cruelties of that system and protested. Therefore, less cruel techniques of punishment were used. For example, people were sent away from their country and were never allowed to come back, or they were kept in prison.
          The early settlers of America brought with them the idea of isolating prisoners. They could not see or talk to each other and could only read and exercise by themselves. After a long isolation, the prisoners could be released because they would not commit any more crimes. The Walnu Street Jail in America operated on this idea. In the latter part of the eighteenth century, however, a religious group stopped that system.
          At the end of the nineteenth century, a new idea was introduced. It permitted prisoners to work together in groups during the day. It also reduced problems of administration. Afterwards, many prisons were built in America and abroad which operated on this idea.
          About the time of the American Civil War, a new institution for young offenders was built in Elmira, New York. This new system worked on the principles of classifying prisoners on the basis of age, giving them an education and training them.
          Questions 33 to 35 are based on the passage you have just heard.
          33. When were prisons used as a place for preliminary detention?
          34. Who got rid of the idea of isolating prisoners?
          35. According to the passage, which is not a way to punish prisoners?
          Section C

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 21:30:12 | 显示全部楼层

Directions: In this section, you will hear a passage three times. When the passage is read for the first time, you should listen carefully for its general idea. When the passage is read for the second time, you are required to fill in the blanks numbered from 36 to 43 with the exact words you have just heard. For blanks numbered from 44 to 46 you are required to fill in the missing information. For these blanks, you can either use the exact words you have just heard or write down the main points in your own words. Finally, when the passage is read for the third time, you should check what you have written.
          Like all electronic equipment, computers have become smaller and more (36)sophisticated with time. They have (37) evolved from the enormous mainframes of the 1970s to thin little laptops, financially (38) accessible to a growing number of people and capable of performing innumerable tasks.
          Personal computers have (39) revolutionized countless aspects of modern life. With scanners and digital cameras, for example, the world of publishing and (40) photography has entered the home. Long-distance learning has been made possible for students in isolated or distant areas thanks to (41) computer-assisted teaching. Computer games have added a whole new (42) dimension to home entertainment. They are so much fun that they can become (43) addictive.
          Perhaps no other machine has had a greater impact on our lives than computers. With modems and servers, (44) personal computers can now be connected through telephone lines to create networks of people and businesses who are able to communicate with each other almost instantly by e-mail. Like most aspects of computer culture, the Internet has its positive and its negative side. For example, electronic mail has become so popular and so easy that it has become a problem. (45) In some offices it has reduced real interpersonal relationships and forced employees to read hundreds of useless messages every day.
          Computer technology has affected virtually every aspect of our lives from satellites in outer space that relay television programs to the microchip in our hand calculator. (46) Computer technology has added considerably to the efficiency and quality of life, but it has also contributed to the stress of modern life, especially in the workplace.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 17:46 , Processed in 0.090708 second(s), 7 queries , WinCache On.