帖子

109万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 16:57:57 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  2011年9月高级口译听力真题
          Listening Comprehension 1
          W:We heard up there that if you are turned down the first time, you try and persevere, but I can’t imagine going back to a boss after you have been turned down.
          M:Don’t give up. It’s so important not to give up. The first thing that you wanna do is try to understand what the situation is, engage in some candid conversation. I understand that you weren’t happy with my proposal or you are not able to approve it at this time. Tell me what some of your concerns are, because asking for a change in schedule is often about negotiation. So, maybe we can come up with some type of alternative or middle ground, and if that’s not possible right now, let’s set a timetable for when we can revisit it, because what’s not possible today, could be plausible in 3 or 6 months from now, because circumstances and attitudes change. So don’t give up.
          W:Right! You don’t have to be a pest.
          M:That’s right.
          W:But just don’t give up quietly. OK. We hear bosses saying,” I can’t have people just wake up one day and say, ‘I need more time off’”, what are they really saying?
          M: That’s right. You can’t walk in and just make those demands. The bottom line is bosses really do want us to be happy, but not at the expense of productivity. And any type of a change in schedule, any type of flexibility, really, is an accommodation, not an entitlement, and so it doesn’t matter why I am asking, whether it’s “I am a mom, and I need more time with my kids.” or “I am a dad who wants to coach a soccer team.” It doesn’t matter what my reasons are for asking. I have to be able to convince the boss that I’m gonna produce results.
          W: That’s one of these reasons you should say over and over again. Don’t go in with the pressing problem. Go in with the pressing solution.
          M: Solutions really are your way to victory, not always. But you are definitely not gonna succeed, if you go in with a laundry list of problems. If I come and I say: “I’m so sick of my commute. I really have to work from home one day a week.”
          W: But maybe the most skepticism raised by bosses is about the fact that you’re really gonna do as much or even more work. How do you convince your boss that you mean it that more work will be done. How do you convince and then show them.
          M: Offer benchmarks. It’s the best solution that you can provide. Because you are gonna say here is the proposal that I have. And here is how we’re gonna measure the results. Because I know results are important to you, and are important to me, too. So maybe we’re gonna have a conversation for 50 minutes every two weeks. So that we understand how the flow of communication is working. And if you are not happy, or I’m not happy, we have the ability to make changes along the way.
          W: Right.
          M: Flexibility is the key. In terms of getting these special accommodations, because I might say I want to work from home every Friday. But you know what? If there is a pressing business need, I will swap days. I will be here on that Friday,and so being flexible with this arrangement, with this propose change of schedule. Hopes you get control of your life, and keep the boss happy.
          Q1 What are the two people talking about?
          Q2 What is the bottom line for the bosses on the matter according to the man?
          Q3 What is the best solution to the issue being discussed in the conversation?
          Q4 Which of the following statements is true according to the conversation?
          Q5 What is the relationship between the two speakers most probably?

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 18:12:32 | 显示全部楼层
Listening Comprehension 2
          Huston USA: Federal authorities have shut down dozens of web domains as part of a crackdown on trafficking in counterfeit goods or copyrighted works. Internet users attempting to access the websites now are greeted by a notice that the sites have been seized by the Department of Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
          ‘The coordinated federal law enforcement operation targeted online retailers of a diverse array of counterfeit goods, including sports equipment, shoes, handbags and sun-glasses as well as illegal copies of copyrighted DVD boxed sets, music and software,’ the Justice Department said the crackdown involved the seizure of 82 sites. Twelve of the cases were investigated by Houston-based agents with Homeland Security Investigations, but most of the sites are based overseas, particularly in east Asia, according to the Houston office of Homeland Security Investigations.
          Canberra, Austria: South Africa and Australia have said the next managing director of the International Monetary Fund should be appointed on merit and not nationality. The pair say the current appointment system undermines the IMF’s legitimacy. The body has always been headed by a European, and UK chancellor George Osborne has backed Christine Lagarde, French economy minister, for the post.
          The position is vacant after Dominique Strauss-Kahn resigned last week so he could fight sexual assault charges.
          For too long, the IMF’s legitimacy has been undermined by a convention to appoint its senior management on the basis of their nationality," Australian Treasurer Wayne Swan and South African Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said in a joint statement.
          In order to maintain trust, credibility and legitimacy in the eyes of its stakeholders, there must be an open and transparent selection process which results in the most competent person being appointed as managing director, regardless of their nationality.
          Kabul Afghanistan
          Suicide bombers wielding machine guns have stormed a government building in eastern Afghanistan, officials say.
          Initial reports say at least three gunmen wearing suicide vests shot their way into the traffic police headquarters in Khost city.
          Security forces have surrounded the compound and a gun battle is taking place, police say. At least one person is reported to have been killed. The attack comes a day after a suicide bombing in Kabul killed at least six.
          In the latest attack, a guard was killed in the initial assault which happened at about 5 o’clock on Sunday, said the army commander for Khost province.
          The provincial police chief told the local news agency that there were three other police officers who had been wounded. The Taliban said it carried out the attack.
          London, UK:
          The first service that allows users to pay for purchases via their mobile phone has been launched in the UK.
          Users wishing to use the system - dubbed Quick Tap - will need Orange and Barclaycard accounts as well as a handset set up for contactless payments.
          The idea of the mobile wallet is gaining popularity around Europe.
          “Having a wallet on my phone has made it much more convenient to make purchases on the move and I like that it allows me to keep track of what I’m spending as I go," said David Chan, chief executive of Barclaycard Consumer.
          Later this summer, users will also be able to use the service to pay the toll on the M6 motorway.
          Richyvic Iceland:
          The Icelandic authorities have imposed a local flight ban after the country’s most active volcano, Grimsvotn, began erupting. A plume of smoke has risen 12 miles into the sky from
          the volcano. But Iceland’s Meteorological Office says the eruption should not cause widespread disruption to air traffic. Last year, ash clouds from another Icelandic volcano, led to the closure of a large section of European airspace.
          Governments feared that ash particles could cause aircraft engines to fail, and the closure caused chaos to air travelers. The Icelandic civil aviation authority has imposed a flight ban of 120 nautical miles around Grimsvotn. The authority spokeswoman said: "We have closed the area until we know better what effect the ash will have." "The ash in Grimsvotn is more coarse and not as likely to cause danger as it falls to the ground faster and doesn’t stay as long in the air as the eruption last year."
          Domestic airline Icelandair said no traffic had been affected.
          Question 6, the US federal authorities shut down 82 web sites trafficking and counterfeit goods, in which part of the world are most of these sites based?
          Question 7 On which of the following factors should IMF boss be appointed according to Austria and South African officials?
          Question 8 At least how many people are reported to have been killed when suicide bombers storm an Afghan police base on Sunday?
          Question 9 What new service has recently been offered to UK shoppers?
          Question 10 Which of the following is true about the latest eruption of Iceland’s most active volcano?

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 19:01:35 | 显示全部楼层
Listening Comprehension 3
          Questions 11-15 are based on the following interview.
          W: Remember the setting for the movie the Truman show? It looked like a nice place to live. Well, for the most part, it wasn’t a set .The town actually exists and it was built on the concept of new Urbanism, the idea of using architecture and planning to nurture civic ties and to encourage interaction between neighbors. In central Florida, the World Disney Company is running its own experiment in new urbanism, a town called Celebration. Andrew Ross is a professor of American studies at New York University. He spent a year living in Celebration, getting to know the town and its people. Now Professor Ross, could you say something about this?
          M: The town more or less borrows very heavily from new urbanized principles. That’s the town-planning movement that is pledged to create environmentally friendly alternatives to sprawl and to create communities around people rather than automobiles. But many aspects of that kind of design of town are really aimed at maximizing social interaction between residents.
          W: And from your point of view, this would be laudable goals? I mean you go to some horrible sprawl communities and places like southern California, and you’ll see houses that only present garage doors to the street, and a community set-up where you absolutely have to drive to every single place and no one ever sees each other.
          M: And what make Celebration unique? There are many things that make celebration unique but one of them is the very high level of media scrutiny. By the time I got there to spend my year in Celebration, this was a community of folks who are already the most scrutinized people on the planet and that generated a very high level of performance anxiety among the folks living there. Really, that trickle down all the way from the Disney boardrooms to the school restrooms, ceaselessly assessing how the community was doing, whether it was creating a vibrant sense of interaction and participation and whether it was being a success or a failure.

W: Now, despite all the planning that went into Celebration, it evolved in what turned out to be unpredictable ways. A lot of people were disappointed there, some people less disappointed.
          M: A lot of folks who moved in there had very high expectations. A goodly number of them were Disney files, who had been accustomed to high levels of customer satisfaction from the company in their vacation experiences. Obviously, those high expectations would be inevitably thwarted at some level. But most folks, and we are talking about a self-selected group of pioneers who moved in there, were people who had moved from the cheerless isolation of a lot of other suburban places, were very hungry for community, very much looking for a town where they could fully participate and create and define the sense of community there.
          W: What about the attempts of the planners to engineer community where there will be a mixture of incomes? Was that effective?
          M: Initially it was effective and this is highly unusual in the American housing landscape to find fairly pricy houses just a spit away from multi-family rental apartment buildings. You just don’t find that anywhere in American housing landscape. The problem is that a lot of new Urbanist Towns like Celebration become commercially successful and Celebration has indeed been that. What happens is the housing prices rise and the low-income folks can’t afford to live there anymore. That’s already beginning to happen. There were working-class people who I knew in Celebration who had moved in there as pioneers and Lord knows how they made ends meet and they did. Certainly, it wasn’t cheap to live in town but increasingly those low-income folks won’t be able to afford that.
          11. About which of the following is Professor Ross being interviewed?
          12. Which of the following is not promised by new urbanized principles?
          13 . What, among many other things, makes the town of Celebration unique?
          14 . What can we probably tell about Celebration from the interview?
          15. Which of the following statements is true about those who had?

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-11 20:34:23 | 显示全部楼层
Listening Comprehension 4
          Hello, I’m Amber and you’re listening to BBC learning English.com. In London life today, we sit down to a traditional British breakfast in a smart London restaurant and a ‘greasy-spoon café’! A ‘greasy-spoon café’, or ‘caff’, is the opposite of a smart restaurant!
          We find out what the traditional British breakfast is made of, and why it is becoming more and more popular, especially in London, to eat breakfast in a café before arriving at the office for a hard day’s work.
          Now let’s listen to what an American anthropologist, Kaori O’Connor says. According to Kaori O’Connor, strangers to England have a ‘vague vision’, an unclear picture in their minds, of what the traditional British breakfast is – perhaps it’s served from silver dishes on a grand ‘sideboard’. As you listen, try to catch what Kaori lists as the three main ingredients of the great British breakfast.
          She says ‘It’s a meal that everyone outside of England has heard of, and dreams about, and we don’t know what it is, but when we come here, we want to eat it. And we have some vague vision of, you know, a sideboard with silver dishes and it’s just going to be the most wonderful thing on earth and I got here, and I went to a café and there was the bacon, eggs and chips, and I thought – gosh, is this all there is?!’
          Did you catch it? Kaori says she went into a London café for breakfast and there it was ‘bacon, eggs and chips’! Bacon is meat from a pig that has been salted and dried, and it is fried for a traditional English breakfast!
          The eggs are usually fried too, and there is also usually some kind of bread – perhaps fried bread or even, as Kaori saw, chips – fried potatoes!
          So now let’s go to a smart London restaurant where chef Lawrence Keogh is frying a traditional breakfast! You can hear the sizzling in the background! He explains why he eats breakfast – the egg and bacon are ‘protein’, for example – protein is healthy. ‘it keeps you going all day’. It’s ‘sustenance’, nourishment, healthy food.
          As you listen, try to catch what he says is a new trend, or fashion in London’s top restaurants.
          Lawrence Keogh says ‘I think it’s fundamental to the start of the day. If I’ve got a long day at work, I try and eat egg and bacon in the morning because it’s protein – it keeps you going all day. You know really, we do a lot of business meetings as well now in the morning –the place is very busy – and I think you see it across London now, there’s lots more people having business meetings in top restaurants and it’s getting very fashionable to have breakfast.’
          Well, Did you catch it? Laurence says that more and more people are having ‘business meetings in top restaurants and it’s getting very fashionable to have breakfast.’
          Well our last stop today is a greasy-spoon café. Russell Davies is an expert on these! He’s written a book called ‘Egg, Bacon, Chips and Beans: 50 Great Cafes and the Stuff That Makes Them Great’. He explains what makes a great breakfast in a down-market London café. He writes in the book ‘I would say the café experience, you know, it’s less than 50% the food, as it were, there’s also the atmosphere, there’s the fact that in a decent cafe, they’re not going to hurry you out. There’s the smells, there’s the sounds, you know, the badly-tuned radio, the eccentric art on the wall, the kind of odd condiment choice and most cafes are so small that it’s the best place for eavesdropping and just kind of listening to other people’s conversations
          16. What is the main topic of this talk?
          17. Which of the following is usually not included in the great British breakfast?
          18. 18. What’s the new trend or fashion in London’s top restaurants according to Chef Lawrence Keogh?
          19. Which of the following does not make the atmosphere in a down-market London café?
          20. What can we conclude about a traditional British breakfast from the talk?

编辑推荐:◇  2011年中级笔译汉译英难点解析汇总
                ◇  中级口译:史上最强百句长难句翻译汇总
                ◇2011年翻译资格考试:高级口译英译汉翻译技巧汇总
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 16:00 , Processed in 0.081876 second(s), 6 queries , WinCache On.