36万

帖子

109万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2017-4-17 17:52:21 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
[/url]

很多人在用手机发短信时,经常会在字里行间内加上几个被称作“表情符号”的小图标,这个近来十分流行的新功能不仅能让枯燥无味的文字看起来丰富多彩,还可以快速且高效地向他人传达我们的情感。你经常使用哪些表情符?本集《随身英语》探讨表情符号成为一种国际化语言及重要交流工具的发展过程。

课文内容

Vocabulary: emotions 词汇: 情感

Happy, angry, amazed – these are some of the emotions we like to express these days when we're sending a message on our smartphones! That's why many of us now add little pictures to our texts to brighten up someones mobile screen but we're also using them as a quick way of telling someone how we're feeling. Yes, emojis have become a vital tool for communication.

Let's clear one thing up first – there are emojis and emoticons. The latter are little images made using normal keys on a keyboard. For example, a colon, two dots, followed by the curved line of a close brackets is a 'smiley face'. But as technology has become more sophisticated, pre-made images have been created that can be simply added to your messages, which is great!

The emoji was first invented in Japan in the late 1990s and the word 'emoji' comes from the Japanese words for 'picture' and 'character'. The number of different images has dramatically increased since then and now we have a picture for every mood or situation.

So now we have the option to give this new creation the visual 'thumbs-up' but have you thought (puzzled face) why we've become so addicted to using emojis? Professor Vyv Evans, has written a book called ‘The Emoji Code’ – he says "increasingly, what we’re finding is that digital communication is taking over from certain aspects of face-to-face interaction… one of the reasons emojis are so interesting is that they really do enable us to express our emotional selves much more effectively." So emojis are a sort of substitute for the visual signals or non-verbal cues we normally give when we speak to someone face-to-face.

Another advantage of emojis is that they are an international language – they don't use words but tell a message in pictorial form so they can be easily interpreted whatever your native language. However, the emojis you send need some thought as they can sometimes be misinterpreted – if a friend sends you an emoji of a hammer, you may think he is angry when really he is saying he has hurt himself or he is clumsy!

Emojis are a good way for showing empathy – they are a virtual hug or a flirtatious tease. But as linguist Neil Cohn says, "to many, emoji are an exciting evolution of the way we communicate; to others, they are linguistic Armageddon." It does show there is a lot more to our communication than words alone but does this mean the decline in traditional writing?

词汇表

happy 高兴的
angry 愤怒的
amazed 惊讶的
to express 表露、表达(情感)
emoji 表情符号,“绘文字”
sophisticated 复杂精致的
mood 情绪,心情
thumbs-up (竖起拇指)赞
puzzled 迷惑的
addicted 使人沉迷的,上瘾的
face-to-face 面对面的
substitute 替代物
non-verbal cue 非言语的暗示
pictorial 图画的
interpreted 被理解
clumsy 笨手笨脚的
empathy 同感、共鸣
flirtatious 打情骂俏的
linguistic Armageddon “语言的末日”,即语言的灭绝

测验与练习

1. 阅读课文并回答问题。

1. How has technology changed to make adding pre-made emojis to our text messages easy?

2. What new word has been created by combining the Japanese words for 'picture' and 'character'?

3. According to the article, why do we use emojis more these days?

4.True or false: Emojis can be understood regardless of the language you speak.

5. What word used in the article means 'made by computers; not physically existing'?

2. 请你在不参考课文的情况下完成下列练习。选择一个意思合适的单词填入句子的空格处

1. I knew my brother was very upset but he couldn't find the words ______ himself.  

expressing       expressed       to express       to expression
2. The audience gave the new show the ______ - some of them said it was the best thing they had ever seen!

substitute       thumbs-up       face-to-face       amazed
3. Although my boyfriend told me on the phone that he was leaving me, I had to meet him ______ to see if he was serious.

face-to-face       face-or-face       face up       face-to-facing
4. I'm so ______, I keep dropping things and breaking them!

angry       happy       addicted       clumsy
5. My boss is being so ______, I'm going to have to say something to him.

sophisticated       flirtatious       amazed       pictorial

答案

1. 阅读课文并回答问题。

1. In what way has technology changed to make adding pre-made emojis to our text messages easy?
Technology has become more sophisticated, so pre-made images can easily be added to our text messages.

2. What new word has been created by combining the Japanese words for 'picture' and 'character'?
Emoji - e (, "picture") + moji (文字, "character").

3. According to the article, why do we use emojis more these days?
The use of emojis has increased because we communicate more via phones and computers. Emojis are used a substitute for the visual signals or non-verbal cues we normally give when we speak to someone face-to-face.

4.True or false: Emojis can be understood regardless of the language you speak.
True.they are an international language – they don't use words but convey a message in pictorial form so they can easily be interpreted whatever your native language.

5. What word used in the article means 'made by computers; not physically existing'?
Virtual. Eg: A virtual hug.

2. 请你在不参考课文的情况下完成下列练习。选择一个意思合适的单词填入句子的空格处

1. I knew my brother was very upset but he couldn't find the words to express himself.  

2. The audience gave the new show the thumbs-up - some of them said it was the best thing they had ever seen!

3. Although my boyfriend told me on the phone that he was leaving me, I had to meet him face-to-face to see if he was serious.

4. I'm so clumsy, I keep dropping things and breaking them!

5. My boss is being so flirtatious, I'm going to have to say something to him.

下载

[url=http://www.xdf.cn/bbc/yingyu/201704/features-take-away-english-ep-170417_attachments/bbc_tae_script_emojis.pdf] 下载文字稿

下载音频
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 02:18 , Processed in 0.095544 second(s), 7 queries , WinCache On.