帖子

109万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2017-3-16 17:46:44 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

2017031603490942246.jpg

2017031603490942246.jpg

Thank you and it is such a great honor to be here with all of you. Thank you, Nicole,and thanks to everyone who has been part of this extraordinaryNational Day of Service and Remembrance. I am so grateful to be back home on September 11th,a day that is so important to the people of New York and to our nation. And we all bring a mix of emotions and memories and feelings to this day. For me,and for many Americans, and I know for many of you, 9/11 will always be a day that represents humanity at its worst, and humanity at its best; a day when many of you experienced senseless violence and tragic,unspeakable loss, but when you also witnessed the heroism, the generosity, and compassion of our fellow citizens.
  谢谢,我很荣幸能与各位在此汇聚一堂。谢谢你,尼科尔。同时,还要谢谢每 个参与到这次盛大的全国服务纪念日的人们。我很高兴能够在9月11日回到家乡,对 于纽约人民乃至整个民族而言,这一天是如此的重要。对于这一天,我们所有人都 怀有一种很复杂的情感来回忆和感受^我知道,对于我和许多美国人来说,对于你 们中的许多人来说,9月11日将永远是这样的一天:在这一天里,人性最丑陋的一面 和最美好的一面同时得到了淋漓尽致的展现;在这一天里,你们中的许多人遭遇了 无情的暴力、无尽的悲伤以及不可估量的惨重损失,然而也是在同一天,你们见证 了同胞们的英雄主义、慷慨无私和怜悯。
  Today, we know that the threat of violent extremism still remains. And our nation has to be vigilant. We have to be strong in the face of those who would seek to do harm to our people, our nation, and our values. By coming together to honor those who lost and who gave their lives eight years ago, we renew our strength to move forward in the face of both old and new challenges, and we come together to invigorate the values that have defined our country and our people for more than 200 years.
  而今,我们知道,暴力极端主义的威胁依然存在。我们的国家必须提高警惕, 我们必须强大起来去对抗那些试图伤害我们的人民、我们的国家和我们的价值观的 人。在此,我们相聚一起,共同对八年前那些为我们牺牲的人们表达的敬意;同 时,我们也重新获得了力量去迎接前进道路上面临的各种新旧挑战;我们今天能汇 聚一堂,是为了重振两百多年前就检释了我们国家和民族的价值观。
  Now, like many of you, I will always carry with me the images and the emotions of that day of what came to be called Ground Zero. But I will also try to focus even more, if I can—as a citizen, and when I was a senator, and now as your Secretary of State—I will focus on the firefighters, and the police and the rescue workers, the citizens, all the first responders from wherever they came, who responded fearlessly to danger on that awful day~the images of them running into burning and collapsing buildings to save the lives of others, of those who climbed the stairs of the Towers to help others escape. They made the ultimate sacrifice. And it is those people—many of your loved ones, your friends, your colleagues—who we remember and honor today, who truly represent the best of humanity. And it is their example that must continue to inspire us all.
  现在,和你们许多人一样,我将永远铭记被称为“爆心投影点”的那一天的 情景和感受。但如果可以的话,我也将努力做得更多,作为一个国家公民,曾经的 参议员,现在的国务卿,我将关注那些消防员、警察、救援人员、公民和所有那些 来自四面八方第一时间予以响应的人们,他们在那可怕的一天里直面危险,毫无惧 色。我将铭记他们冲进正在燃烧和坍塌的房屋里抢救他人生命的一幕幕,铭记那些 冲进世贸中心双塔楼帮助他人逃生的一幕幕。他们作出了最大的牺牲。他们中的许 多人是你们的亲人、朋友和同事,今天,我们就是要纪念和仰慕这些人,他们真正 代表着人类最伟大的一面,他们的事迹定会继续鼓舞我们所有人。
  With that in mind, we can be pleased and proud that earlier this week~at long last~one of those special heroes, Glenn Winuk, was awarded the 9/11 Heroes Medal of Valor. And some of you already, you know Glenn’s story of bravery and sacrifice. He was an attorney who had served as a volunteer firefighter for 19 years. When the first plane hit the World Trade Center, Glenn not only helped to evacuate his law firm’s building across the street, but he raced over to the Towers with his medic bag in hand to try to save others. He died when the South Tower fell.

2017031603484958546.jpg

2017031603484958546.jpg

铭记住这些,我们就能够很欣慰和自豪地看到,终于在这周早些时候,我们的 英雄之一,格伦威努克被授予了9.11英雄勋章。你们中的部分人已经知道了格伦 的英勇和献身事迹。他是一名律师,19年来一直担任消防志愿者。当第一架飞机撞 击世贸中心时,格伦不仅帮助疏散他所在街道对面的律师事务所,而且还带着医药 包冲进世贸中心的大楼,奋力挽救他人生命。然后南塔的倒塌夺去了他的生命。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2017-3-16 18:52:38 | 显示全部楼层

We are joined today by several members of his family, including his father Seymour, his mother Elaine, and a friend of mine,his brother Jay, To all those who knew and loved Glenn, please know that his story will inspire others to serve and give, to embody the ethos of citizenship and sacrifice that our nation relies upon, to help us meet the gfeat and grave challenges we face.
  今天,他的一些家人也参加了我们的大会,包括他的爸爸西摩、妈妈伊莱恩以 及他的弟弟,我的朋友杰伊。对于所有知晓且爱戴格伦的人们,请相信他的事迹将 会鼓舞他人去服务和给予,去展现公民气质和献身精神,因为我们的国家要依靠它 们赐予我们力量去应对各种重大和严峻的挑战。
  The response of New Yorkers and Americans to the 9/11 attacks were not scripted. They weren’t orchestrated. They were the acts of people who instinctively reflexively——summoned the best within themselves to help others in harm’s way. And while these were individual acts, they represented a collective and uniquely American characteristic: a willingness and a pride in serving others.
  纽约人民和美国人民对“9. 11”袭击的回应不是照本宣科的,也不是精心策划 的,他们的行为是本能的、自发的,他们只是发挥自身最好的一面去帮助那些陷入 危境的人们。虽然这些都是个人行为,但他们呈现了一种共有的且独一无二的美国 精神,即一种为他人服务的自愿性和自豪感。
  There are so many examples that we could mention of service that we saw after the 9/11 attacks. When the Red Gross needed donors, people organized blood banks. When our EMTs and first responders needed blankets and food, people gave from their own closets and kitchens. When those who had lost a loved one needed a kind word to break the silence of loneliness, people went and listened and shared. The people of New York reminded all of us in that dark moment that in this time of adversity, even small acts of selflessness give us strength. And that was just the first
  “9. 11”事件之后,这类服务于他人的事迹真是不胜枚举。红十字协会需要捐 赠者时,人们自发建起了血库;急救医疗专家和奋战在一线的人们需要毛毯和食物 时,人们纷纷慷慨解囊;那些失去亲人的人们需要安慰来缓解沉默和孤独时,人们 走向他们,倾听他们的心声,分担他们的痛苦。在那个黑暗的时刻,纽约人民提醒 我们:在逆境中,特别是在事发的当天再小的无私行为也会使我们充满力量。
  On the next day and the day after that, New Yorkers and Americans gave so much from their heart. They gave so much love. They gave more clothes and more blankets. They gave phones and computers so families could keep in touch and students could go back to school. And then they held relief concerts that many of us remember so well. And always, always,offering solace to families in need. In the years that followed, that spirit of service continued as so many people found their own particular ways to serve. Some cleaned up trash in public parks, or re-painted elementary schools and civic centers. Some traveled to New Orleans to help with the relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina. In short, people from all walks of life served.
  事发第二天和接下来的几天里,纽约人民和美国人民倾其所有,真心付出,他 们献出了无尽的爱心,捐赠了不计其数的衣服和毛毯,他们也捐出了电话和电脑, 这样家人才能保持联系,学生才能重返学校。之后他们还举办了至今我们许多人都 记忆犹新的音乐会,缓解灾区的悲痛氛围。此外,他们还源源不断地为有需要的家 庭送去慰藉。在随后的几年里,由于这种服务精神的延续,所以很多人以他们自己 独有的方式为他人服务着。一些人自觉清理公园的垃圾,或者为小学和城市中心重 新刷上油漆,或者前往新奥尔良协助救灾工作以恢复卡特里娜飓风带来的损失。简 而言之,各行各业的人们都在付出。
  And service didn’t end. It didn’t end on 9/11. It didn’t begin there either. But the tragedy of 9/11 helped us to focus our attention on what we really cherish. This country was built and has endured on a tradition of service. It’s a common thread that binds Americans of all generations together. And Americans aren’t waiting for the next tragedy to be compelled to act.
  付出永无止境,它不会因为“9.11”事件而终止,也不是因它而出现的。不过“9.11”悲剧让我们帮助我们去关注那些我们真正珍惜的东西。付出是这个国家建 立以来一直秉承的传统,它是一条纽带,将世世代代的美国人联系在一起。当然, 美国人民决不允许同样的悲剧重演。
  Today, in this audience, we,re joined by over 15 service organizations. You,re working to help the elderly and the disabled, to protect battered women, to provide tutors for children in elementary school, to help train the next generation of leaders and public servants. Many of you have started your own service programs. You’ve been moved by the sacrifice of those who lost their lives on 9/11. And I know there are many of my friends and many with whom I had the honor to work, who are part of the network of 9/11 family groups~you have helped countless other families over the years.
  今天,有超过15个服务机构参与了本次大会。你们正致力于帮助老年人和残疾 人,保护受虐待妇女,为上小学的孩子们提供家庭教师,培养下一代的领导人和公 仆。你们许多人已建立了自己的服务项目。你们被那些在“9. 11”事件中献出生命 的人们深深地感动。我也知道我的好多朋友和曾经有幸共事过的同事都是“9.11” 家庭团体网络的一分子,你们在过去几年里帮助了无数的家庭。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2017-3-16 20:12:49 | 显示全部楼层

For every Glenn, there is a brother like Jay—or a sister, or a son or daughter, or mother or father, or a friend or colleague~who turns your grace out and spins it around the world, creating ripples from what had been overwhelming grief. Jay and his friend David Paine started My Good Deed,a campaign to establish September 11th as a National Day of Service and Remembrance. I was very honored to have volunteered along with my staff on behalf of My Good Deed, and to proudly support the efforts that it represented by co-sponsoring legislation in the Senate. And finally, it became law in April, when President Obama signed the Edward Kennedy Serve America Act. And many of you lobbied for this legislation. You gave countless hours of effort, and now you are giving life by volunteering in your communities to the concept of what service truly means. And I thank you for your contributions.
  对于每一个像格伦那样的英雄来说,他们都有一个像杰伊这样的兄弟,或者 姐妹,或者儿女,或者父母,又或者是朋友或同事。他们把你的恩典播撒在世界各 地,从而抚慰那些无比悲痛的心灵。杰伊和他的朋友大卫佩恩开展了名为“我的 慷慨行动”的活动,旨在将9月11日设定为全民服务纪念日。我很荣幸能代表“我的 慷慨行动”与同事们一起成为志愿者,并为能够支持这项事业感到十分骄倣,因为 这项事业也是由参议院共同发起的议案的代表。最终,在四月份,奥巴马总统签署了《爱德华肯尼迪国家服务法案》,标志着这次活动以法律的形式确立了下来。 你们许多人都曾宣扬此次立法,你们曾付出无数努力,现在你们又全身心地投入到 志愿为社区服务的事业中去,用行动阐释了服务的真正内涵。在这里我要感谢你们 所作的贡献。
  This Act, named after one of our nation’s greatest public servants, will help to usher in a new era of service, creating volunteer opportunities for 250,000 Americans by the year 2017. It will create a core of volunteers working on clean energy and education,veterans’ issues, and challenges facing low-income communities.
  这部法律以我国其中一位最伟大的公仆的名字命名,它将有助于引领一个服务 新时代,到2017年,将产生为25万美国人民提供志愿服务的机会。它将创立一个志 愿者核心团体,专门致力于清洁能源和教育、退役军人问题以及低收入群体所面临 的各种挑战。
  And today, as part of our first official National Day of Service and Remembrance, Americans are planning to volunteer. And that’s what’s been going on across our country—giving their time through non-profit charities and other service organizations, strengthening our communities. In Chicago,students kicked off a semester-long project to collect 2,974 pairs of shoes to donate to a homeless shelter~ representing each person lost in the 9/11 attacks. In Washington D.C. volunteers are recruiting and training tutors for underperforming elementary school students. And in Syracuse, New York, today, the Rescue Mission has served breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the homeless.
  今天,作为第一个全民服务纪念日的一分子,美国人民正计划投入志愿服务活 动。这些服务活动将遍及整个国家,他们在非盈利慈善机构和其他服务性组织付出 宝贵的时间,不断增强我们的社会团体。在芝加哥,学生们启动了一个为期半学年 的项目,在该项目中,他们收集了2974双鞋子以捐献给一个无家可归的人群的避难 所,这个数字正是在11”事件中丧生的人数。在华盛顿,志愿者为成绩不佳的 小学生招募并培训家庭老师。而今在锡拉丘兹、纽约,救援队为无家可归者提供了 —日三餐。在奥斯汀、得克萨斯州,一个社区协会全体出动为科罗拉多河野生动物 保护区进行大清扫。在康乃狄格州,为了帮助那些需要帮助的学生两个年轻的学生摆起汽水摊筹集资金。在亚特兰大,一群公民为消防队和警察局送去了自制的糖果 篮,对奋战在前线而且至今仍坚守在各自的岗位上尽职尽责的人们表示敬意。
  In Austin, Texas, a neighborhood association is out cleaning up the Colorado River Wildlife Sanctuary. Two young students in Connecticut set up a lemonade stand to raise money for a uniform drive to help benefit other school children in need. And in Atlanta, a group of citizens put together homemade goody baskets for fire and police stations to pay tribute to our first responders who stand watch and are on duty today. As individuals and as a country, one of the only certainties that we have in life is the expectation of challenge, whether we are suddenly confronted with a lost job or a disease in our family, a natural disaster in our community, or an act of terror against our nation. In response to adversity, we will rise to the call of service because we discover that we gain more than we give, and because serving is one way to express what it means to be an American.
  无论是作为个人还是整个国家,有一点是毋庸置疑,那就是时刻作好迎接挑战 的准备,不管是面临突如其来的失业,还是亲人的病倒,或者社会中的自然灾害, 抑或是国家遭遇的恐怖袭击,一旦发生,我们都不能惊慌失措。我们要响应服务的 号召应对灾难,因为我们不仅会发现,付出换回的是更多的回报,还因为付出是表 达我们美国人真正内涵的一种方式。
  So let’s go out and serve even more, inspired by today. Take that time to coach a child’s basketball team, or serve on a commission,or run for elected office. We’re helping knit together the social fabric that makes America stronger and more durable.
  所以,让我们带着今天的激情走出去,为更多的人提供服务0利用那些时间来 指导一个孩子的篮球队,或者服务于某个委员会,或者是竞选公职。我们正努力使 社会各部分团结在一起,使美国更强大、更韧性。
  And now, in this new century, with all the old and the new threats and challenges we face—some of which we can’t anticipate or even imagine~we need to rely on the Americans spirit of service even more.
  在新的世纪里,面对各种新旧威胁和挑战——它们有些是我们无法预料,甚至 是无法想象的,所以我们只有更加依赖于美国人的服务精神,才能去应对那些威胁 和挑战。
  For eight years, I had the extraordinary privilege of representing this great state in the United States Senate. Now, as Secretary of State, working with President Obama, I have another privilege and honor, to ensure that our country stays safe and secure. We remain vigilant in combating the threat of violent extremism. We're recruiting new allies and creating new partnerships to go after and defeat al-Qaida and the extremist networks. Through this work~and my travel to other continents~ I am acutely aware that in order to be strong abroad, we must be strong at home. So we need you to help us continue strengthening yourselves, our communities, and our nation.
  八年来,我极其有幸地代表这个伟大的国家服务于美国参议院。而如今,作为 和奥巴马总统一起努力的国务卿,我又获得了另一份特权和殊荣,那就是确保我们 国家的安宁与安全。在与暴力极端主义威胁进行斗争时,我们要保持警惕。我们正 在招募新的同盟国,并建立新的伙伴关系,以此来追击和打败所有的基地组织和极 端主义团伙。通过这项工作,加上我对其他大洲的访问后,我深知要想在国外树立 强大的形象,我们必须让国家内部强大起来。因此,我需要你们的帮助,需要你们 不断地壮大自己,壮大我们的社会和我们的国家。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2017-3-16 20:28:47 | 显示全部楼层

And finally, I want to encourage you to think about ways in which Americans, and those who have settled here from other countries, can contribute on behalf of people living without the opportunities we take for granted. By helping lift the tide for others, we help all boats rise. You can go online to make a small loan that will help a poor woman farmer in Africa buy seeds or tools that will enable her to become self-sufficient and contribute to her family’s welfare. You can make a contribution that brings medicines to a child suffering from malaria or a parent suffering from AIDS, help the young people of our world get educated so they can fully participate in their societies. You can join the Peace Corps to continue a tradition started by President Kennedy almost half a century ago~or join AmeriCorps, a program started by President Clinton 16 years ago.
  最后,我想借此机会鼓励你们发挥你们的聪明才智,想想作为美国人民以及外 来移民,我们怎样才能为那些终其一生都不能得到我们习以为常的各种机遇的人们 作点贡献。通过帮助他人进步,从而推动所有人一起进步。你们可以上网捐一小笔 钱,帮助南非贫穷的农妇购买种子或农具,为她贴补家用,使她的家庭能够自给自 足。你们还可以作出些许贡献,比如为某个正在遭受疟疾折磨的孩子或身患艾滋病 的父母送去药品;也可以帮助世界上的年轻人获得受教育的机会,让他们全面地参与社会的建设。你们还可以参加和平部队,继续发扬将近半个世纪前肯尼迪总统创 立的优艮传统,或者加入16年前由克林顿总统创立的美国义工团。
  A world that enjoys greater prosperity will be more stable and peaceful—and that is good not only for Americans and America, but for all of us. So this tradition of service which dates back to the very beginning of our country now has a new impetus. You’re laying a foundation for a stronger, better America, and a future that is worthy of who we are. So thank you all so much. Thank you for what you,re doing.
  一个越繁荣昌盛的世界会变得越和平稳定,这不仅有利于美国和美国人民,更 有利于整个世界。所以这种自我们国家诞生以来就禀赋的服务传统,此刻又注入了 一股新的活力,你们正在为一个更强大更美好的美国奠定基础,正在为一个值得我 们期待的未来奠定基础。
  Thank you for what you’ve done. And may God continue to bless this extraordinary country of ours that has given each and every one of us so many opportunities to serve. Thank you all very much.
  所以非常感谢你们所有人,感谢你们正在做的一切,感谢你们曾经所做的一 切。愿上帝继续保佑这个伟大的国家——这个让我们能够无数次为人民服务的国 家。谢谢大家。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-23 17:18 , Processed in 0.090107 second(s), 9 queries , WinCache On.