帖子

109万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2017-2-13 09:20:32 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

c645f933afa64c1c41b30c31313453af20.jpg

c645f933afa64c1c41b30c31313453af20.jpg

‘back and forth’, ‘by and large’, ‘safe and sound’, ‘out and about’, ‘more or less’, ‘wear and tear’, ‘hustle and bustle’, ‘ups and downs’“来来回回”,“基本上,大体上”,“平安无事”,“四处走动”,“多多少少”,“(时间流逝导致的)磨损和消耗”,“拥挤喧嚣”,“跌宕起伏”Earlier this year, I shared 12 binomial expressions commonly used in English and gave examples with a business context. The post was extremely popular and was shared by many people. Thank you. Its popularity made me think that a further post with more examples might be welcome.今年的早些时候,我分享了12个英文中经常使用到的“二项式”短语,并给出了相应商业背景的例子。这个帖子很受欢迎并且被许多人分享了。感谢支持。正是上一篇的受欢迎程度让我构思一篇带有更多例子的帖子,希望也能被欣然接受。So here I am. Let’s start off with describing what binomials or word pairs are in English. Binomials are two words that are linked by a conjunction (usually and/or) and used together as a fixed expression. The word order is fixed which means that you can’t say ‘forth and back‘ or ‘large and by’. Most languages, as far as I know, have similar expressions.因此我在这(写了这篇文章)。首先,让我们了解英文中的“二项式”短语或者说词组,是什么意思吧。“二项式”短语指用连词(通常是and或者or)连接在一起的两个单词构成的固定短语。固定语序意味着这两个单词的顺序不能更换,也就是说你不能说forth and back‘ 或者 ‘large and by’。据我所知,很多语言,都有类似的表达方式。In this post, I’d like to share 14 more binomial expressions commonly used in English. I want to show you in particular how these binomials are used in a business context.在这篇文章中,我将分享14个英文中常见的“二项式”短语。并且告诉你们这些短语在具体的商务环境中的使用。1. All or nothing – something you would do completely or not at all1.非此即彼----指你要么把有些事做好,要么就完全别做We cannot take an all or nothing approach in our business. We must be prepared to compromise.我们不能在业务中采取非此即彼的方法。我们必须做好让步的准备。2. To be at someone’s beck and call – when you are at someone’s service to do what they want you to do.2.听某人的指使----指你为某人服务并做他想让你做的事时If he wants to work all the hours of the day that’s up to him. The trouble is he expects us all to be at his beck and call day and night.如果他想一整天都工作的话,那取决于他自己。问题是他想让我们不分昼夜的听他指使。3. Bells and whistles – special features that are added to a product or service. It’s often used in Marketing language.3.花哨的东西,附加服务----指附加在产品或服务上的特殊特征。经常用于营销术语中。You can order the basic service or for an extra £20 you can get all the bells and whistles included in the package.你可以订购基本服务,只要额外支付20英镑你就能打包得到所有的附加服务了。4. Bread and Butter – a job or activity that provides the main income for a business4.生计,主业----指提供主要收入的工作或活动Small businesses are our bread and butter and we would be reckless to upset them.小公司是我们的生计来源,我们会不顾一切的扰乱他们。5. Cut and dried – we can use this expression in two ways5.简单的,已成定局的----我们可以在两种情况下使用这句短语。Simple to understand: Their instructions are cut and dried. They want us to deliver to by Monday at the very latest or we might as well forget the deal.简单易懂的:他们的说明十分简单易懂。他们希望我们最迟星期一交货,要不就别交了。Final decision no room for change: We need a cut – and- dried decision by the end of the week.最终的不可更改的决定:这周末前我们需要作出最终的决策。6. Dos and don’ts – the general rules that businesses have of what can and cannot be done6.该做的和不该做的,行规----指企业能做和不能做的事的基本规则There are some basic dos and don’ts of email marketing that most people accept.电邮推广市场有很多被许多人接受的能做和不能做的基本规定。7. Last but not least– something that is equally important even if it’s mentioned at the end.7.最后但依然重要的----指一些事情尽管最后才提到,但仍然十分重要。Last but not least, I’d like to thank the events team for organising a fantastic evening.最后但仍然重要的一点,我要感谢组织这场美妙的夜晚的活动团队。8. Life-and-death (adjective) – Something that is important and serious8.生死攸关的(形容词)----指一些非常重要的事The refugee crisis is a life-and -death matter. We cannot treat it so lightly.难民危机是生死攸关的大事,我们不能草率处理。9. Make or break – an expression that is very common in business to mean a situation or event or period that is extremely important because it can make something succeed or fail. It’s often used in the following ways:9.决定成败的—在商业中很常见的一个短语,指至关重要的决定成败的情形,事件或时期。经常在下列方式中使用:A make or break decision/situation成败在此一举的决定/情形A make or break deal – This is a make or break deal. We must make this work for us.成败在此一举的交易----这是一项决定成败的交易。我们要为了自己,让这单交易成功。Christmas is often a make- or-break time for small retailers.圣诞节对一些小的零售商来说是决定成败的时刻。10. Nuts and bolts – the practical facts of something instead of the theory10.具体细节----指实际情况而不是理论When you look at the nuts and bolts of running a business, you soon realise it’s not as easy as it sounds.当你仔细看经营公司的实际情况时,你会意识到这并不像听上去那样简单。11. Part and parcel -a feature of something that cannot be avoided11.必不可少的一部分----指事物不可避免的特征Working long hours is part and parcel of running your own business.长时间工作是经营及自己的公司的无法避免的一部分12. Song and dance – a long and complicated story or statement that sometimes is not true12.大肆宣扬----指又长又复杂的故事或声明,有时未必是真的Oh, she made such a song and dance (statement) about how busy she was and how she couldn’t possibly take on more work.噢,她如此夸张的说了这么长一段声明,有关她有多么忙并且是如何的不可能接受更多的工作了。He gave me a song and dance (story) about how difficult it was to get good workers these days.他告诉我了一个又长又复杂的故事,描述了目前找到好员工有多么困难。13. Fight tooth and nail – work very hard to get something13.极力----指非常努力的为了某事We fought tooth and nail to get to where we are now and I am not going to give up now.我们竭尽全力的奋斗才达到现在的位置,因此我绝不会放弃。14. touch and go – an uncertain situation14.不好说----指不能确定的情形For a few days the negotiations were in real danger of collapsing. It was touch and go. Scary!几天来,谈判一直处在谈崩的危险中。(结果)简直太不好说了,真吓人!
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 23:41 , Processed in 0.082191 second(s), 9 queries , WinCache On.