英语学习论坛

找回密码
 立即注册
查看: 368|回复: 0

Hygge: the secret to a happy winter 享受快乐冬天的秘密是什么?

[复制链接]

36万

主题

36万

帖子

109万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-11-18 18:25:30 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
[/url]

在白昼渐短,天气转寒的季节,人们很难保持在晴朗夏日时常能感受到的快乐心情。每年,丹麦人都会经历漫长而阴沉的冬日,可是丹麦却被认为是世界上最幸福的国家。你想享受一个舒适而快乐的冬天吗?本集《随身英语》探讨丹麦人享受寒冷的秘诀。

课文内容

Vocabulary: winter 词汇:冬季

Imagine this scene: it's blowing a gale outside, you're snuggled up on the sofa under a warm duvet, chatting and reminiscing with your closest friends.

That content, snug feeling has a name in Danish – 'hygge'. And, as Denmark recently won the title of 'happiest country in the world', the rest of the world is becoming more and more interested in finding ways to embrace this concept.

'Hygge' - originally from a Norwegian word meaning 'wellbeing' - doesn't have an exact equivalent in English. It's often translated as cosiness, or as blogger Anna West told the BBC, ''cosiness of the soul." But, as translator ToveMaren Stakkestad explains: "Hygge was never meant to be translated. It was meant to be felt."

Essentially, Hygge involves creating a warm, cosy atmosphere and enjoying it with your loved ones. Danish winters are long and dark and so achieving 'hygge' is particularly relevant during this season. A typical 'hygge' activity during winter could be, enjoying delicious homemade food and light-hearted conversation with friends – preferably in the warm glow of candlelight; or maybe sipping a glass of mulled wine in the hot tub after a day spent skiing.

However, Hygge isn't only confined to the bleak winter months – it can also describe that warm, fuzzy feeling you get after a walk through a forest with friends on summer's day or a family barbecue in the park.

The concept of 'hygge' is currently taking the world by storm with more and more people becoming obsessed with achieving a state of wellbeing.  Articles, books and stocking fillers, full of tips on how to achieve hygge, are hitting the market. Although, some believe this has become a marketing and advertising ploy, the benefits of staying happy cannot be underestimated. So, as the winter nights draw in, instead of hibernating, get into your favourite onesie, bake some cookies and curl up by a roaring fire with a good book. And if you can do this with friends and family, even better - hygge is meant to be shared.

词汇表

blowing a gale 狂风正起,刮着大风
snuggle up 舒适地蜷缩;偎依
duvet (羽绒)被褥
snug 温暖舒适的
wellbeing 安宁健康,幸福
homemade food 在家里自制的食物
warm glow of candlelight 温暖的烛光
mulled wine (圣诞期间常见的)热葡萄酒
bleak 寒冷刺骨的
fuzzy feeling 飘飘然的、惬意的感觉
stocking filler (适合放在圣诞袜里的)圣诞小礼品
draw in (天黑得)渐早
hibernate (动物)冬眠(这里是幽默的说法)
onesie 居家连体服
curl up 蜷缩,窝着
roaring fire 烧得正旺的火,熊熊火焰

测验与练习

1. 阅读课文并回答问题。

1. Why is the word 'hygge' so difficult to translate into English?

2. True or false: Hygge is only relevant in the winter months.

3. Why has the rest of the world become interested in 'hygge'?

4. Which phrase means ‘having big and rapid success around the world'?

5. Is 'hygge' better experienced on your own or in company?

2. 请你在不参考课文的情况下完成下列练习。选择一个意思合适的单词填入句子的空格处

1. I hate the winter – I'm going to stay in my house and ________ all winter, like a bear.

hibernate         curl up         glow         snuggle up

2. Look at these cute key rings! They'll make great ________ for the kids this Christmas.

sock fillers         stocking fillers         tight fillers         legging fillers

3. I don't feel like going out tonight – I'm going to ________ with a good book on the sofa.

curl over         curl off         curl down         curl up

4. It's ________ outside – I'm worried that old tree is going to fall on our house.

blowing a wind         blowing a breeze         blowing a gale         blowing a storm

5. I need to buy a new ________ for my bed - mine is too thin and I'm constantly waking up feeling cold in the night.

roaring fire         duvet         onesie         stocking filler

答案

1. 阅读课文并回答问题。

1. Why is the word 'hygge' so difficult to translate into English?
Because it is a feeling and a way of life that is part of the Danish culture. There are similar words in English, like 'cosy' but this is not an exact translation.

2. True or false: Hygge is only relevant in the winter months.
False, it is often associated with winter, but it also exists in the summer months.

3. Why has the rest of the world become interested in 'hygge'?
Because Denmark has been voted the happiest country in the world and people around the world want to achieve the same level of contentment.

4. Which phrase means 'having a big and rapid success around the world'?
'Taking the world by storm'.

5. Is 'hygge' better experienced on your own or in company?
In company.

2. 请你在不参考课文的情况下完成下列练习。选择一个意思合适的单词填入句子的空格处

1. I hate the winter – I'm going to stay in my house and hibernate all winter, like a bear.

2. Look at these cute key rings! They'll make great stocking fillers for the kids this Christmas.

3. I don't feel like going out tonight – I'm going to curl up with a good book on the sofa.

4. It's blowing a gale outside – I'm worried that old tree is going to fall on our house.

5. I need to buy a new duvet for my bed - mine is too thin and I'm constantly waking up feeling cold in the night.

下载

[url=http://www.xdf.cn/bbc/yingyu/201611/features-take-away-english-ep-161114_attachments/bbc_tae_hygge.pdf] 下载文字稿

下载音频
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 21:16 , Processed in 0.074673 second(s), 7 queries , WinCache On.