积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-10 09:20:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Unit 7
          Athletes
          After-Class Reading
          PASSAGE I Athletes Should Not Be Role Models
          These days there are so many stories about the criminal activities of athletes that sports pages are beginning to look like police reports. What's going on? American sports fans ask over[1] their morning toast and coffee, What's happening to our heroes?
          It's not difficult to understand our desire for athletes to be heroes. On the surface, at least, athletes display a vital and indomitable spirit; they are gloriously alive inside their bodies. And sports do allow us to witness acts that can legitimately be described as courageous, thrilling, beautiful, even noble. In an increasingly complicated and disorderly world, sports are still an arena in which we can regularly witness a certain kind of greatness.
          Yet there's something of a paradox here, for the very qualities a society tends to seek in its heroes — selflessness, social consciousness, and the like — are precisely the opposite of those needed to transform a talented but otherwise unremarkable neighborhood kid into a Michael Jordan. To become a star athlete, you have to have an extremely competitive outlook and you have to be totally focused on the development of your own physical skills. These qualities may well make a great athlete, but they don't necessarily make a great person. On top of this, our society reinforces these traits by the system it has created to produce athletes — a system characterized by limited responsibility and enormous privilege.[2]
          The athletes themselves suffer the costs of this system. Trained to measure themselves perpetually against the achievements of those around them, many young athletes develop a sense of what sociologist Walter Schafer has termed "conditional self-worth"[3]. They learn very quickly that they will be accepted by the important figures in their lives — parents, coaches and peers as long as they are perceived as "winners". Unfortunately they become conceited and behave as if their athletic success will last forever.
          Young athletes learn that success, rather than hard and honest play, is what brings rewards. And for those successful enough to rise to the level of big-time college sports[4], the "reward" is often an artificially controlled social environment, one that shields them from many of the responsibilities other students face. Coaches — whose own jobs, of course, depend on maintaining winning programs — protect their athletes to ensure that nothing threatens their eligibility to compete. If an athlete gets into trouble with the law, for instance, a coach will very likely intervene — hiring an attorney, perhaps even managing to have the case quietly dismissed. In some schools, athletes don't even choose their own classes or buy their own books; the athletic department does all this for them. It's not unheard-of for athletic department staff to wake up athletes in the morning and to take them to class.
          Given this situation, it's not too surprising that many young American athletes lack a fully developed understanding of right and wrong. Professor Sharon Stoll of the University of Idaho has tested more than 10,000 student athletes from all over the country, ranging from junior high to college age; she reports that in the area of moral reasoning, athletes invariably score lower than non-athletes — and that they grow worse the longer they participate in athletics.
          Overprotected by universities, flattered by local communities, given star status by the public, rewarded with seven or eight-figure salaries, successful athletes, inevitably develop the feeling that they are privileged beings —as indeed they are.[5] The danger arises when they think that because they are privileged they can have anything they want.
          Mike Tyson, of course, is the most obvious example of this phenomenon. Having been taught as a young man that he was special — his trainer, Cus D'Amato, had one set of rules for Tyson and another, more demanding, set for all his other boxers — and having lived his entire adult life surrounded by a team of admiring "slaves", Tyson eventually came to believe, like a medieval king, that all he saw rightfully belonged to him. Blessed with money and fame enough to last a lifetime, he spent his time outside the ring[6] acquiring and discarding the objects of his desire: houses, automobiles, jewelry, clothes, and women. As a result of the publicity surrounding his rape trial, countless women have related stories of Tyson asking them for sexual favors and then, upon being refused, saying with surprise, "Don't you know who I am? I'm the heavyweight champion of the world." Needless to say, not all athletes are Mike Tyson; there are plenty of athletes who recognize that they have been granted some extraordinary gifts[7] in this life and want to give something back to the community.
          Some remarkable individuals will always rise above the deforming athletic system we've created. After retiring from football, Alan Page of the Minnesota Vikings became a successful lawyer and established the Page Education Foundation, which helps minority and disadvantaged kids around the country pay for college. Frustrated by the old-boy network[8] by which Minnesota judges were always appointed, Page challenged the system in court and was eventually elected judge in the Supreme Court. He thus became the first black ever elected to a statewide office in Minnesota. Thankfully, there will always be some legitimate heroes (or, to use the more contemporary term, role models) to be found among professional athletes.
          Still, it's probably misguided for society to look to athletes for its heroes — any more than we look among the ranks of, say, actors or lawyers or pipefitters.[9] The social role played by athletes is indeed important (imagine a society without sports; I wouldn't want to live in it), but it's fundamentally different from that of heroes. (930 words)
          Proper Names
          Alan Page
          (男子名)艾伦.佩奇(著名的美国橄榄球运动员)
          Cus D'Amato
          (男子名)卡斯.达马头
          Matthew Goodman
          (男子名)马修.古德曼
          Mike Tyson
          (男子名)迈克.泰森(美国著名拳击运动员)
          Minnesota Vikings
          明尼苏达海盗队(美国橄榄球队名)
          Sharon Stoll
          (女子名)莎伦.斯托尔
          University of Idaho
          爱达荷大学(美国)
          Walter Schafer
          (男子名)沃尔特.谢弗
          New Words
          arena
          n. a place where sports, entertainments, and other public events take place 表演场地,竞技场
          e.g. The basketball game was held at the arena.
          athletics *
          n. (usually plural) exercises of strength, speed and skill; active games and sports 体育运动
          attorney
          n. (AmE) a lawyer; a person appointed to act for another in business or legal matters 辩护律师;(业务或法律事务上的)代理人
          e.g. She refused to make a statement until she had spoken to her attorney.
          bless
          v.
          1) be lucky enough to have 有幸得到,有幸具有
          e.g. He is blessed with excellent health.
          2) ask God to protect someone or something 为......祈求上帝赐福(或保佑)
          e.g. May God bless you and keep you safe from harm.
          boxer *
          n. 拳击运动员
          champion
          n.
          1) a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition 冠军
          e.g. Do you think there will be a new boxing champion after the match?
          2) a person who fights or argues for a cause or on behalf of another 捍卫者,拥护者
          e.g. She has long been a champion of prisoners' rights.
          deform *
          v. distort the shape or form of; make misshapen 使变形,使成畸形
          e.g. The intense heat from the fire deformed the metal chair.
          disorderly
          adj. not orderly; in confusion 混乱的,凌乱的
          e.g. The books and papers lay in a disorderly pile on the floor.
          eligibility *
          n. necessary conditions or necessary qualities 合格,资格
          flatter
          v.
          1) praise too much or insincerely 向......谄媚,奉承
          e.g. Before asking for a raise, I flattered my boss by praising her latest accomplishments.
          2) (often passive) give pleasure to 使高兴,使感到荣幸
          e.g. The town was flattered to hear that its beach was one of the cleanest in the country.
          gloriously
          adv.
          1) in a state of having or deserving great fame, honor, and admiration 光荣地,荣耀地
          e.g. All the team members were talking gloriously about their recent achievements.
          2) splendidly, wonderfully, magnificently 辉煌地;壮丽地
          e.g. The princess was dressed gloriously in a white silk gown.
          heavyweight *
          n. the highest weight class in boxing (拳击)重量级
          indomitable
          adj. unbeatable 不屈服的,不屈不挠的
          invariably
          adv. always, in an invariable way 总是,始终如一地,不变地
          e.g. I ) It invariably rains when I go there.
          II) The fuel used is almost invariably charcoal made from wood or coconut shells.
          misguided *
          adj. misdirected 被误导的
          needless
          adj. not needed, unnecessary 不必要的,不需要的
          e.g. Many television programs contain a lot of needless violence.
          paradox
          n. a person, thing, or situation, exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature 自相矛盾的人或事物
          e.g. Travelling backward in time could create many paradoxes.
          pipefitter *
          n. someone who installs and repairs pipes for water, gas, etc. 管道工
          rape
          n. the act and crime of forcing someone to have sex 强奸
          e.g. The instructor showed the women precautions to take against rape.
          selflessness *
          n. the state of caring for other people more than for oneself 无私
          sexual
          adj. of or connected with sex 性的
          e.g. The students studied the sexual life of the earthworm in biology.
          shield
          v. protect or hide from harm or danger through defensive action 保护,包庇,遮挡
          e.g. She lied to the police to shield her friend.
          n. a protective device or covering 防护物,护罩,盾(状物)
          e.g. I ) The knight's sword struck the soldier's shield.
          II) The ozone layer is a shield which protects the earth against the sun's radiation.
          statewide *
          adj. affecting or representing an entire state 全州范围的
          thankfully *
          adv.
          1) luckily 幸运地
          e.g. Thankfully, no one was injured in the accident.
          2) gratefully; in a thankful way 感激地
          e.g. We sat down thankfully.
          thrilling *
          adj. causing excitement, enjoyment; exciting 令人激动的
          e.g. I just got back from a thrilling vacation in Hawaii.
          trainer *
          n. someone who trains people or animals for sports, work etc 教练员
          e.g. A lot of wealthy people have their own personal trainers.
          unheard-of *
          adj. not known, not heard of 前所未闻的
          e.g. The electric light was unheard-of 200 years ago.
          unremarkable *
          adj. ordinary 平凡的,不出色的
          witness
          v. be present at (something) and see it 当场见到,目击
          e.g. I witnessed the car crash from my bedroom window.
          n. a person who sees an event take place 目击者,见证人
          e.g. The police questioned the witness about the accident.
          Phrases and Expressions
          and the like
          and other similar things 诸如此类,等等
          e.g. Many students are also keeping fit through jogging, aerobics (增氧健身运动), weight training, and the like.
          look to
          direct one's expectations to; look forward to; expect 指望,仰仗,期待
          e.g. I ) We looked to her for a solo (独唱).
          II) These days it is fashionable to look to our genes to find wisdom.
          measure somebody/something against
          judge someone or something by comparing them with another person or thing 拿......与......比
          e.g. When measured against the work of a professional, her efforts look unimpressive.
          on the surface
          when not observed, thought about, etc. deeply or thoroughly; superficially 在表面上;在外表上
          e.g. On the surface this seems like a difficult problem, but in fact there's an easy solution to it.
          on top of
          besides, in addition to 除......以外;以及
          e.g. I ) On top of borrowing $ 80, she asked me to lend her my car.
          II) We missed the train, and on top of that we had to wait for two hours for the next one.
          PASSAGE II Playing to Win
          My daughter is an athlete. Nowadays, this statement won't strike many parents as unusual, but it does me[1]. Until her freshman year in high school, Ann was not really interested in sports of any kind. When she played, she didn't like to move around, often dropped the ball, and had the annoying habit of laughing on the field or the court.
          Indifference combined with another factor that was not a good sign for a sports career.[2] Ann was growing up to be beautiful. By the eighth grade, nature and dental work had produced a 5-foot-8-inch, 125-pound, brown-eyed beauty with a wonderful smile. People told her, too. And as many young women know, it is considered a satisfactory accomplishment to be pretty and stay pretty. Then you can simply sit still and enjoy the unconditional positive reward. Ann loved the attention and didn't consider it insulting when she was awarded "Best Hair," female category, in the eighth-grade yearbook.[3]
          So it came as a surprise when she became an athlete. The first indication that athletic indifference had ended came when she joined the high-school cross-country team.[4] She signed up for the team in early September and came third within three days. Not only that. After one of those 3.1-mile races up and down hill on a rainy November afternoon, Ann came home muddy and bedraggled. Her hair was wet and the mascara she had applied so carefully that morning ran in dark circles under her eyes. This is it[5], I thought. Wait until Lady Astor sees herself in the mirror[6]. But the kid with the best hair in eighth-grade went on to finish the season and subsequently letter[7] in cross-country, soccer, basketball, and football.
          "I love sports," she tells anyone who will listen. So do I, though my midlife quest for a doctorate leaves me little time for either playing or watching. My love of sports is bound up with the goals in my life and my hopes for my three daughters. I have begun to hear the message[8] of sports. It is very different from many messages that women receive about living, and I think it is good.
          My husband, for example, talked to Ann differently when he realized that she was a serious competitor and not just someone who wanted to get in shape so she'd look good in a prom dress. Be aggressive, he'd advise. Go for the ball. Be intense.
          Be intense. She came in for some of the most severe criticism from her dad when, during basketball season, her intensity decreased. You're pretending to play hard, he said. You like it on the bench?[9] Do you like to watch while your teammates play?
          I would think, how is this kid reacting to such advice? For years, she'd been told at home, at school, by countless advertisements. "Be quiet. Be good. Be still." Teachers had reported that Ann was too talkative, not obedient enough, too superficial. I had dressed her up in frilly dresses and told her not to get dirty. Ideals of femininity in ads were still, quiet, cool females whose empty expressionless faces made them look elegant and mature. How can any adolescent girl know what she's up against? Have you ever really noticed intensity? It is neither quiet nor good. And it's definitely not pretty.
          In the end, her intensity revived. At halftime, she'd look for her father, and he would come out of the bleachers to discuss tough defense, finding the open player[10], improving her jump shot[11]. I'd watch them at the edge of the court, a tall man and a tall girl, talking about how to play.
          Not that dangers don't lurk for the females of her generation. I occasionally run this horror show in my own mental movie theater[12]: An overly polite but handsome lawyerlike drone of a young man sees my Ann. Hmmm, he says unconsciously to himself, good gene pool[13], and wouldn't she go well with my BMW and the condo? Then I see Ann with a great new hairdo kissing the drone "goodbye honey" and setting off to the nearest mall to spend money with her beautiful friends.
          But the other night she came home from softball tryouts at 6 in the evening. The dark circles under her eyes were from exhaustion, not makeup. "I tried too hard today," she says. "I feel like I'm going to be sick."
          After she has revived, she explains. She wants to play a particular position. There is competition for it. "I can't let anybody else get my spot," she says. "I've got to prove that I can do it." Later, we find out that she has not gotten the much-wanted third-base position, but she will start with the varsity team. My husband explains to her how coaches often work and tells her to keep trying. "You are doing fine," he says. She gets that I-am-going-to-keep-trying look on her face.
          Of course, Ann doesn't realize the changes she has made, the power of her self-definition. "I'm an athlete, Ma," she tells me when I suggest participation in the school play or the yearbook. But she has really caused us to rethink our views of existence: her youngest sisters who consider sports a natural activity for females, her father whose advocacy of women has increased, and me. Because when I doubt my own abilities, I say to myself, get intense, Margaret. Do you like to sit on the bench?
          And my intensity revives.
          I am not suggesting that participation in sports is the answer for all young women. It is not easy — the losing, jealousy, raw competition, and intense personal criticism of performance.
          And I don't wish to imply that the sports scene is a morality play either. Girls' sports can be funny. You can't forget that out on that field are a bunch of people who know the meaning of the word cute. During one game, I noticed that Ann had a blue ribbon tied on her ponytail, and it dawned on me that every girl on the team had an identical bow. Somehow I can't picture the Celtics gathered in the locker room of the Boston Garden agreeing to wear the same color sweatbands[14].
          What has struck me, amazed me, and made me hold my breath in wonder and in hope is both the ideal of sport and the reality of a young girl not afraid to do her best.
          I watched her bringing ball up the court. We yell encouragement from the stands, though I know she doesn't hear us. Her face is red with exertion, and her body is concentrated in the task. She dribbles, draws the defense to her, passes, runs. A teammate passes the ball back to her. They've beaten the other team's defense. She heads towards the hoop. Her father watches her; her sisters watch her; I watch her. And I think, drive, Ann, drive[15]. (1143 words)
          Proper Names
          Ann
          (女子名)安
          Boston
          (地名)波士顿(美国马萨诸塞州首府)
          Celtics
          男子篮球队名
          Lady Astor
          阿斯特夫人(John Jacob Astor 的妻子。他本人是一位19世纪初的美国皮毛业商人,著名的富豪)
          New Words
          advocacy
          n. the action of supporting an idea, way of life, person, etc. (对某种观点、生活方式、人物等的)支持,拥护
          bedraggled
          adj. made wet or dirty by rain, mud, etc.; untidy (被雨、泥等)弄湿或弄脏的;不整齐的
          bleachers
          n. (plural) cheap seats at a sports ground that are not roofed over (运动场内票价低廉的)露天座位
          bound
          adj.
          1) certain to happen 一定的,必然的
          e.g. In a group as big as this, you are bound to get occasional disagreements.
          2) having a duty, legally or morally, to do something 受约束的,有义务的
          e.g. You are not legally bound to answer these questions.
          competitor *
          n. a person who competes 竞争者,比赛者
          e.g. Bill shook hands with his competitor before the tennis match began.
          condo (minium)
          n. (AmE) (an apartment in) a block of apartments, each of which is owned by its occupier (产权为居住者自有的)公寓单元,公寓大楼
          dental
          adj. of or for the teeth 牙齿的;牙科的
          e.g. The dental assistant cleaned my teeth.
          dribble

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-10 10:56:05 | 显示全部楼层

v.
          1) move the ball forward with repeated slight touches 运球,盘球
          2) allow saliva to run from the mouth 流口水
          drone
          n.
          1) a person who does no useful work and lives on others 不务正业而依赖他人为生者
          2) a male honey-bee 雄蜂
          exhaustion *
          n. total loss of strength; extreme tiredness 精疲力竭
          e.g. Tom suffered from extreme exhaustion after working for 32 hours.
          expressionless *
          adj. not showing feelings, thoughts, etc. 没有表情的
          e.g. He had such an expressionless face that we didn't know whether he was satisfied or not.
          femininity *
          n. quality of being feminine 女子的气质
          frilly
          adj. having many frills 有很多褶边的
          honey
          n.
          1) used to address someone you love 宝贝,心肝(亲爱者之间的昵称)
          2) sweet sticky yellowish substance made by bees 蜂蜜
          hoop
          n. circular band of wood, metal, etc. 箍,圈,环
          imply
          v. suggest something indirectly rather than state it directly 暗示,含有......意思
          e.g. He said he only had time for a couple of pints, implying that he normally drank more.
          indifference *

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-10 11:23:27 | 显示全部楼层

n. absence of interest, feeling or reaction 缺乏兴趣,漠不关心
          e.g. His attitude to his work was one of bored indifference.
          intense
          adj.
          1) appearing to concentrate very hard on what is being done 认真的,专注的
          e.g. I know he's an intense player, but he does enjoy what he's doing.
          2) very serious and concentrated, often involving doing a great deal in a short time 强烈的,剧烈的;紧张的
          e.g. What struck her was the intense competition between the two brothers.
          3) feeling and showing strong emotion 热情的,热切的
          e.g. The patient has an intense will to recover.
          lawyerlike *
          adj. like a lawyer 像律师的
          midlife
          n. age between 40 and 50 中年(40-50岁)
          overly
          adv. too or very 太,过度
          e.g. I was overly impressed with her performance.
          ponytail
          n. a woman's or girl's long hair drawn back and tied at the back of the head so that it hangs like a horse's tail (女子的)马尾发(型)
          prom
          n. (AmE) a formal dance party given for students in a high school or college class 高中或大学班级举办的正式舞会,班级舞会
          quest
          n. act of seeking something 寻求,搜索,追求
          e.g. Bob's quest for a wife finally ended when he met Anne.
          ribbon
          n. (a piece of) silk or other material woven in a long narrow band and used for tying things, for decoration, etc. 丝带,缎带
          e.g. David tied a ribbon around the wrapped gift.
          softball
          n. game similar to baseball played on a smaller field with a larger soft ball 垒球(与棒球相似,但球场较小,球较大而软)
          sweatband *
          n. a narrow piece of material worn around the wrist or forehead for soaking up or wiping away sweat, especially during sport (运动时系在额上或手腕上的)吸汗巾
          teammate *
          n. someone who plays in the same team as you 队友
          tryout *
          n. (informal) a trial or test of fitness for some purpose 试用,试验;测验
          varsity
          adj. (AmE) being the chief group or team representing a university, college or school, especially in a sport (大专学校的)体育代表队的,校队的
          yearbook *
          n. a book published annually by a school or university containing information about the students and their activities (学校的)年鉴
          Phrases and Expressions
          be bound up with
          be dependent on; be connected with 有赖于;与......有关系
          e.g. His future is closely bound up with that of the company.
          be up against
          have to deal with a difficulty 面对,面临
          e.g. You see, this is what we're up agains-the suppliers just are not reliable.
          come in for criticism/blame
          receive criticism/blame 挨批评/指责
          e.g. The police came in for a lot of criticism for excess brutality.
          go for
          1) choose, try to get or win 选择,争取获得
          e.g. I ) People tried to persuade him to go for a more gradual reform program.
          II) Smith is going for gold in the 200 meters.
          2) like very much, or be attracted by 喜欢,被......吸引
          e.g. Do you go for modern music?
          in shape
          in a good state of health or physical fitness 处于良好的健康状况
          e.g. Plenty of physical exercise will help you keep in shape.
          dawn on (someone)
          (someone) realize(s) something suddenly 突然意识到
          e.g. It dawned on me that Joanna had been right all along.
          go well with
          agree with; match; suit 一致;相配;相适
          e.g. Your new shoes go well with your dress.
          sign one's name when joining an organization, a group, or a course of study 签(报)名参加
          e.g. We will not have the picnic unless more people sign up.
          strike someone as
          seem to someone as having certain qualities 在某人看来似乎......
          e.g. I ) This activity strikes me as a waste of time.
          II) It strikes me as a great idea.
          PASSAGE III Performance and Technology
          For those persons interested in sports and the performance of athletes, the last half of the twentieth century has been an interesting time. In some competitive sports, it is clear that greater strength, more rigorous training regimes, and better coaching are the prime factors that have resulted in the ever-increasing levels of performance. Thus in track and field events[1], the same distances are run in a shorter time and throwing and jumping events show greater distances and heights. The same factors have produced superior athletic performances in other sports such as wrestling, table tennis and badminton.
          However, in some instances, it is not merely stronger athletes, more rigorous training and superior coaching which contribute to better and more frequent record-breaking performances, but rather it is the introduction of new and superior materials technology which has been responsible for the rapid increase in performance.
          For example, prior to 1950, pole vaulting was a sport which had only the natural bamboo pole to assist the athlete in vaulting over the crossbar. Vaulters with that technology were typically individuals with a strong upper body, rapid acceleration to the vaulting box[2] where the end of the bamboo pole was planted, and the ability to use the flexibility of the naturally-grown bamboo in pulling into the appropriate position to propel feet over the crossbar, then push off with arms and shoulders. Top performance at that time was about 15 feet (about 4.6 meters). In the 1950s first the aluminium, and then aluminium alloy metal poles, were developed. These were less likely to break than bamboo poles, were lighter, and only a little less flexible than bamboo. During that period only modest increases occurred in heights of record performances. However, in the 1960s a new synthetic plastic called fiberglass was used to make vaulting poles. This material was almost as strong as the aluminium pole, but in addition had a degree of flexibility never possible with either bamboo or metal vaulting poles.[3]
          The more flexible fiberglass poles permitted a much greater "slingshot" action, first bending to a much greater arc and then reflexing to help propel the vaulter upward and over the crossbar. The athlete most favored by this type of pole was no longer the explosive sprinter with greater upper body strength.[4] Instead, it favored the person with greater acrobatic skills. This type of person could maximize the reflex action of the pole, and allow himself to be propelled as well by the pole's flexibility as by his own push from the pole. Within a few years the top performances in pole vaulting were consistently over 19 feet in height — an increase of about 25% — due primarily to the superior technology of the pole used in vaulting, and a different set of skills mastered by the athlete.
          However, fiberglass was not only a successful material in pole vaulting. It was quickly incorporated into the construction of superior javelins, better tennis rackets, lighter skis, superior golf clubs and better flycasting rods for fishing. Fiberglass has been used widely along with other types of plastics in many sporting items. For example, rowing boats for competitive racing are nearly all made of fiberglass embedded in polymeric plastics. These racing boats are both lighter and stronger than the older wooden and aluminium shells which they replaced. Likewise, sailboats have been greatly improved by the use of fiberglass and plastics. Even the tillers, rudders, seats and paddles for other boats such as canoes, kayaks, and motorboats have been improved thanks to these new materials. Protective helmets for football[5], boxing and wrestling have also used fiberglass and newer polymeric plastics. Interestingly enough, fiberglass did not produce a superior bat for baseball and softball, where the greater rigidity of wooden and metal alloys continues to be preferable for hitting the ball farther.
          Fiberglass has recently been replaced by graphite so that poles, rods and paddles are stronger, lighter and even more flexible. As in fiberglass, the graphite fiber is incorporated into improved plastics to produce the desired flexibility and strength.
          Beyond the materials incorporated into poles, rackets, bats, boats, bobsleds, etc., superior materials in flooring for basketball courts, running tracks, timing devices, scoreboards, and even TV and radio equipment have contributed to the efficiency and economic growth of sports at all levels.
          Computer technology and computerized design have become incorporated into sports communication and recording/timing equipment, and into the publication of educational and business items associated with sports activity. Even the engineering and construction involved in sports arenas are reaping the rewards of improved technology.
          And finally, one should recognize that sports clothing itself has contributed to increased athletic performance. All of us are aware of the unique footwear available for each type of sports activity, and some of the claims made by the companies which produce these types of shoes may even be factually true! Lighter, more comfortable clothing of all types has contributed, along with other technologies, to vastly improved athletic performances.
          So, when you join the growing numbers of fans who cheer their favorite athlete or athletic team to victory, it is worth remembering the technological input which has assisted them in reaching their present performance levels. While it is true that in the last 50 years athletes have pushed the limits of the human body and broken innumerable records,it is equally true that new materials have given them a distinct advantage. (910 words)
          New Words
          acceleration
          n. increase of speed or velocity 加速
          e.g. The car had no brakes, so we couldn't stop its acceleration as it rolled downhill.
          acrobatic
          adj. of the skills or activities of an acrobat 杂技的
          alloy
          n. a substance composed of two or more metals, or a metal or metals with a nonmetal, intimately mixed 合金
          e.g. Alloys are usually stronger than pure metals.
          aluminium
          n. a metallic chemical element that is lightweight and does not rust easily 铝
          e.g. The siding of our house was made of aluminium.
          arc
          n. a curve; a portion of a circle, a curved shape 弧,弧形(物)
          e.g. The ball rose in an unsteady arc and landed about 150 yards away.
          badminton
          n. a game in which players on a court use rackets to hit a shuttlecock back and forth over a net 羽毛球(运动)
          bamboo
          n. a type of very tall and sometimes tree-like grass found in tropical places 竹,竹子
          e.g. Bamboo is sometimes used to make furniture.
          adj. made from bamboo stems 用竹子制的
          e.g. The bamboo chair blended into the living room nicely.
          bobsled
          n. a sled having two runners, brakes and a steering device 大雪撬
          canoe
          n. a long light narrow boat that is moved by paddling 独木舟,小划子
          computerized *
          adj. computer operated; computer controlled 用计算机操作(管理)的
          crossbar *
          n. a bar that joins two upright posts especially two goalposts 横杆
          efficiency
          n. the quality of doing something well and effectively, without wasting time, money, or energy 效率
          e.g. Jane performed her office duties with great efficiency.
          embed
          v. (embedded, embedding)
          1) fix something firmly and deeply in a surface or solid object 嵌(埋、插)入
          e.g. Small stones were embedded in the ice.
          2) contain or implant as an essential part 含有......,注(植)入......
          e.g. His love of children is deeply embedded in his personality.
          explosive
          adj.
          1) increasing suddenly or rapidly in amount or number 激增的,迅速扩大的
          e.g. The two chemicals, when put together, will react with explosive force.
          2) able or likely to explode 易爆炸的
          e.g. At high temperatures this gas is explosive.
          factually *
          adv. based on facts 事实上
          e.g. This document is factually correct.
          fiber
          n. a mass of threads used to make rope, doth, etc. 纤维
          e.g. Wigs were woven of long fibers.
          fiberglass *
          n. a light material made from glass threads, used for making sports cars, small boats, fishing rods, and the like 玻璃纤维
          flexibility *
          n.
          1) the ability to bend or be bent easily 柔韧性
          e.g. You can increase your flexibility by exercising.
          2) the ability to change or be changed easily to suit a different situation 灵活性
          e.g. The advantage of this system is its flexibility.
          flycast *
          v. (flycast, flycasting) fish with a fly rod and an artificial fly 用假蝇钓鱼
          footwear
          n. things that people wear on their feet, such as shoes, slippers, or boots 鞋类
          graphite
          n. a soft native carbon, used in pencils, paints, electrical equipment, etc. 石墨,黑铅
          input
          n. something such as energy, money, or information that is put into a system, organization or machine so that it can operate 投入,输入(物、数据)
          e.g. The French and German inputs will be in the form of raw materials and expertise.
          javelin
          n. a long stick with a pointed end which is thrown in sports competitions 标枪
          kayak
          n. a small light covered canoe, especially as used by Eskimos or in sport (一种用作体育用品的类似爱斯基摩划子的)小艇,小划子
          maximize *
          v. make something as great in amount, size, or importance as possible 使增加到最大限度
          e.g. The company's main function was to maximize profits.
          paddle
          n. short oar with a broad blade at one end or both ends, used to move a canoe through the water 短桨
          plastic
          n. any of several chemically produced substances that can be formed into shapes when heated or made into thin threads and used in textiles 塑料(制品)
          e.g. Things made from plastic won't rust.
          adj. made of plastic, easily formed into various shapes 塑料(制)的;可塑的
          e.g. I ) Water-proofed fabric pants are more expensive but better for babies than plastic pants.
          II) This metal is plastic at high temperatures.
          polymeric
          adj. of, having to do with, or being a chemical compound having a simple structure of large molecules 聚合(物)的
          prime
          adj.
          1) most important 首要的,主要的
          e.g. Political stability will be a prime concern in developing countries.
          2) best, of the very best quality 最好的,第一流的
          e.g. This town is a prime example of combining old architecture with new.
          propel
          v. cause someone or something to move ahead or forward 推动,推进
          e.g. The football player propelled the ball forward with a good, hard kick.
          racket
          n. a device used to hit a ball or something similar back and forth, usually over a net (网球、羽毛球的)球拍
          e.g. The player was fined for throwing his racket to the ground in anger.
          reap
          v.
          1) get something in return for doing something 得到,获得(报酬、成果等)
          e.g. John reaped the rewards of his labor.
          2) cut and gather (a crop, especially grain) as harvest 收割,收获(庄稼,尤指谷物)
          e.g. The villagers were out in the fields all day, reaping the corn.
          reflex
          v. bend, turn, or fold back 反射
          adj. responsive, occurring in reaction 反射的,反应的
          e.g. reflex act 反射动作;reflex action 反射作用
          regime
          n. a set of rules or habits of diet, exercise, or manner of living intended to improve health, physical condition, etc. (饮食、训练、生活习惯等的)规律;养身法
          e.g. Months before the Olympic Games athletes are required to follow a strict regime.
          rigidity *
          n. the quality or feature of being not able to be bent, moved 钢性,坚硬
          e.g. The function of bones is largely to give rigidity.
          rigorous
          adj. extremely thorough, exhaustive, or accurate 严格的,严厉的;严密的
          e.g. I ) The team's final practice before the big game was rigorous.
          II) The planes have to undergo rigorous safety checks.
          rudder
          n. a blade at the back of a boat that can be moved back and forth to control the direction (船的)舵
          ski
          n. one of the two long, narrow, thin strips of wood, plastic, or metal attached to a boot and used to travel on the surface of snow 滑雪板
          e.g. He bought a new pair of skis and ski boots for his brother.
          v. go on skis for sport or as a means of travel 滑雪
          e.g. We skied down the hill, past the forest and into the village.
          slingshot
          n. a Y-shaped object with a rubber, band that is stretched between the two posts of the Y, used to launch stones and other small objects 弹弓
          sprinter
          n. someone who runs in fast races over short distances 短跑运动员
          synthetic
          adj.
          1) not found in nature; artificial 合成的,人造的
          e.g. Boots made from synthetic materials can usually be washed in a machine.
          2) not genuine, insincere 虚假的
          e.g. Their tears were a bit synthetic.
          tiller
          n. the handle attached to a rudder, used to steer a boat 舵柄
          timing *
          n. the measurement and recording of time taken by an action or process 计时
          upper
          adj. in a higher position than something else 较高的,上面的
          e.g. Grandpa's upper teeth are false.
          vault
          v. jump over something in one movement, using your hands or a pole to gain height (以手撑某物或撑竿)跳跃
          vaulter
          n. a person who vaults 撑竿跳运动员
          wrestling
          n. a sport in which two people fight by holding onto each other and trying to make each other fall to the ground 摔跤,角力
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 19:20 , Processed in 0.101209 second(s), 13 queries , WinCache On.