|  | 
 
| 1. Necessity is the mother of invention. 需要乃创造之母。
 2. Don’t worry. I’ve got his number.
 不用担心。我对他了如指掌。
 ►get sb's number 了解某人的情况,发现某人的本质
 e.g. I used to think he was a friend of mine, but now I've got his number, he's completely selfish. 我一向认为他是我的朋友,但现在我算把他看透了,他完全是个自私自利的人。
 3. Apply the cream liberally.
 多抹点。
 4. We reached a gentleman's agreement.
 我们订了个君子协定。
 ►gentleman's agreement 君子协定,君子之约
 e.g. A gentleman's agreement has no legal force usually. 君子协定通常没有法律效力。
 5. It’s his sore point.
 那是他的痛处。
 ►sore point 令人难堪(或痛苦、伤心)的话题,亦作 sore subject
 在第二十九期里还学过 sore spot
 6. The guy eyed me up.
 他色迷迷地打量我。
 ►eye up 对…做媚眼,向…送秋波;色迷迷地看,挑逗地注视
 e.g. Jack has been eying her up all morning. 杰克整个上午一直对她做媚眼。
 7. There’s every prospect of success.
 成功的希望很大。
 8. Hey, get off your high horse.
 别盛气凌人的。
 ►high horse 傲慢的态度
 9. What an underhanded intrigue!
 多么卑鄙的伎俩!
 10. Let me kill the fatted calf for you.
 我要为你接风洗尘。
 ►kill the fatted calf 盛宴招待,热情款待,设宴欢迎
 (兼职编辑:杨帆)
 | 
 |