英语自学网 发表于 2016-7-30 10:16:42

英式英语的潜规则:太礼貌的英国人


        Ever been told by a new neighbour ‘You must come for dinner’ then spent weeks waiting for a follow-up invitation that never arrives?曾经遇到过新邻居对你说“你得过来吃个晚饭”,可几个礼拜后邀请迟迟不来?
        Or been thrilled when the boss said he’d bear your ‘very interesting’ idea in mind and been surprised when it was never mentioned again.或者是激动地听到上司说他会记住你“非常有趣”的想法,却惊讶他再也没提过这件事?
        Then you’ve been victim of the uniquely British trait of being too prim and polite to say what we really mean. And if it can be baffling for us, imagine what it must be like for foreigners who take our every word at face value.那你就是拥有独特特征的英式英语的受害者了,英式英语对于表达真实所想来说太过拘谨、礼貌了。其实对于英国人来说,想想外国人可能会把他们的每句话信以为真,也挺令人困扰的。
        Now there’s help in the form of a translation table which has become a huge hit on the internet.现在这里有一张在网上引起热议的翻译表,能对你有所帮助。

       
               
                       
                               
                                WHAT THE BRITISH SAY英国人说的
                       
                               
                                WHAT THE BRITISH MEAN英国人实际表达的
                       
                               
                                        WHAT OTHERS UNDERSTAND别人所理解的
                       
               
               
                       
                                I hear what you say我听到你说什么了
                       
                                I disagree and do not want to discuss it further我不同意也不想继续讨论下去了
                       
                                He accepts my point of view他接受了我的观点
               
               
                       
                                With the greatest respect怀着最高的敬意
                       
                                You are an idiot你是一个白痴
                       
                                He is listening to me他在听我说
               
               
                       
                                That's not bad那不算坏
                       
                                That's good不错
                       
                                That's poor那很差劲
               
               
                       
                                That is a very brave proposal这是一个非常勇敢的提议
                       
                                You are insane你疯了
                       
                                He thinks I have courage他认为我很有勇气
               
               
                       
                                Quite good真不错
                       
                                A bit disappointing有一点令人失望
                       
                                Quite good真不错
               
               
                       
                                I would suggest我认为
                       
                                Do it or be prepared to justify yourself按我认为的去做或者证明你的想法
                       
                                Think about the idea, but do what you like考虑他的说法,但按自己想的做
               
               
                       
                                Oh, incidentally/by the way哦,顺便提一下
                       
                                The primary purpose of our discussion is这次讨论的主要目的是
                       
                                That is not very important那并不是很重要
               
               
                       
                                I was a bit disappointed that我对此有点失望
                       
                                I am annoyed that我被惹恼了
                       
                                It doesn't really matter没关系
               
               
                       
                                Very interesting非常有趣
                       
                                That is clearly nonsense那简直是胡说八道
                       
                                They are impressed那令人印象深刻
               
               
                       
                                I'll bear it in mind我会记住的
                       
                                I've forgotten it already我已经忘了
                       
                                They will probably do it他们大概会这么做
               
               
                       
                                I'm sure it's my fault我确信这是我的错
                       
                                It's your fault这是你的错
                       
                                Why do they think it was their fault?为什么他们觉得是他们的错?
               
               
                       
                                You must come for dinner你得过来吃晚饭
                       
                                It's not an invitation, I'm just being polite这并不是一个邀请,我只是表示礼貌
                       
                                I will get an invitation soon我很快就会受到邀请
               
               
                       
                                I almost agree我差不多同意了
                       
                                I don't agree at all我根本不同意
                       
                                He's not far from agreement他差不多同意了
               
               
                       
                                I only have a few minor comments我只有一些次要意见
                       
                                Please rewrite completely请全部重写
                       
                                He has found a few typos他只找到了一些印刷错误
               
               
                       
                                Could we consider some other options我们能考虑下别的选择吗
                       
                                I don't like your idea我不喜欢你的主意
                       
                                They have not yet decided他们还没决定
               
       

        It reveals that when a British person begins a sentence ‘With the greatest respect...’, they’re really saying ‘I think you are an idiot.’表格揭露了当一个英国人用“怀着最高的敬意”为一句句子开头,他们实际想说的是“我认为你是一个白痴”。
        ‘I hear what you say’ means ‘I disagree and do not want to discuss it further’ while ‘That is a very brave proposal’ translates as ‘You are insane’.“我听到你说什么了” 代表“我不同意也不想继续讨论下去了”,“这是一个勇敢的提议”代表“你疯了”。
        The table, which has been posted on numerous internet blogs, has received thousands of comments acknowledging that it’s spot on–from foreigners and Britons alike.这张表格被放到许多博客中后,收到许多外国人和英国人本身的赞同,承认这极其正确。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 英式英语的潜规则:太礼貌的英国人