英语自学网 发表于 2017-4-6 15:32:16

常见英语习语必备 让英语交流不再难!

  要想在实际生活中听懂英语,你必须对某些习语非常熟悉。习语在日常生活中得到广泛使用,因此掌握习语十分必要。你得知道这些习语的真正含义,知道如何运用,争取成为一名“行家”。
          本文将介绍一些当下最常用的英语习语,请记住,知识就是力量。
          1. CRUNCH TIME: the period of time just before a project has to be
completed and everyone has to work hard
          1.关键时期:项目竣工之前的一段时期,人人都在加紧工作
          I’m not getting enough sleep these days. It’s crunch time at work.
          这些天,我从没好好休息过,毕竟现在正处在攻坚期。
          2.LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY:to let others see your uniqueness
          2.展示身手:让他人看到自己的独特性
          My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag
fly and showed them a break dance routine.
          圣诞会上,同事们惊呆了——我一显身手跳了段霹雳舞。
          3. GET OUT OF HAND:when you lose control of things, they get out of
hand
          3.失控:对某事失去控制,出现混乱。
          The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each
other.
          来宾们互相掷瓶,聚会一度失控。
          4. GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT:to understand something
          4.集中精力:弄清某事
          I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.
          我还是想不通乔为何要离我们而去。
          5. DIG IN YOUR HEELS / STICK TO YOUR GUNS: to refuse to compromise or
change your mind
          5.立场坚定/决不动摇:拒绝让步或改变主意
          My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I dug in my heels and went on
to become a famous writer.
          父母劝我放弃写作,但我立场坚定,立志成为一名出色的作家。
          6. POUND THE PAVEMENT: to walk the streets looking for a job
          6.在人行道徘徊:徘徊街头找工作
          I’d been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast
food restaurant.
          在街上徘徊了数月,我才找到这份快餐店的工作。
          7.PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT: to do something unexpected that may have
seemed impossible
          7.另辟蹊径:做一些让人出乎意料,看上去不可能实现之事
          I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his
hat and we landed a major contract.
          原以为我们要破产了,但我的生意伙伴另辟蹊径接到了一个大单子。
          8. LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED: to do everything you can to achieve your
goal
          8.不遗余力:千方百计实现某事
          I’ll leave no stone unturned until I find out who did this.
          不管用什么办法,我都会查出这是谁干的。
          9. GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM: to do something you’ve wanted to do for a
long time and don’t want to postpone any longer
          9.迫不及待:去做某项盼望已久的事情,不愿再等待
          I wasn’t sure how she was going to react, but I had to get it out of my
system, so I told her I had found another woman.
          我不知道她会有什么反应,但是我等不下去了。因此,我告诉她自己移情别恋了。
          10. STEP UP YOUR GAME: to start performing better
          10.迎头赶上:做出更佳表现
          If you want to win this competition, you’ll have to step up your game.
          要想在这次竞争中获胜,你必须加把劲儿了。
          11. PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER: to calm down and behave normally
          11.振作起来:冷静下来,恢复正常
          I understand you’ve had a bad day, but pull yourself together and get on
with your job, will you?
          我知道你今天不容易,但是振作起来开始工作好吗?
          12. SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT: either start performing better or leave
          12.好好干不然就走人:好好表现不然就走人
          This is the last time I’m telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship
out.
          我再说最后一遍,按时上班好好干,不然就走人。
          13. CUT SOMEBODY SOME SLACK:to give somebody a break/ not to judge somebody
severely
          13.放人一马:给人留有喘息的余地,而非咄咄逼人
          I was extremely busy last week. Cut me some slack and I’ll finish the
report by tomorrow morning.
          上星期我简直忙到飞起。给我点喘息的时间,明早我就交报告。
          14. BY THE SKIN OF YOUR TEETH:when you do something by the skin of your
teeth, you only just succeed/ nearly fail
          14.侥幸成功:侥幸成功做某事,差一点失败
          I hadn’t studied much, but passed the test by the skin of my teeth.
          虽然我准备不多,但侥幸通过了测试。
          15. ONCE IN A BLUE MOON:when something rarely ever happens
          15.千载难逢:极少会发生某事
          We used to see him all the time, but now he just visits us once in a blue
moon.
          过去我们经常见面,但现在他许久都不来一次。
            
            

ensix 发表于 2017-4-6 16:41:21


          16. GO DOWN IN FLAMES: to end or fail suddenly
          16.毁于一旦:突然失败
          She’d wanted to become Managing Director, but her career went down in
flames when they found out she’d been leaking information to our
competitors.
          自从向竞争对手泄漏公司信息的事败露,她成为总经理的梦想便毁于一旦。
          17. TAR SOMEONE WITH THE SAME BRUSH: to believe that someone has the same
bad qualities as others in a group
          17.一丘之貉:相信同组的人没有差别,一样差劲
          I don’t think much of that band, but the singer shouldn’t be tarred with
the same brush. She’s got a fantastic voice.
          我不觉得乐队怎样,但是歌手不该与他们混为一谈。她的嗓音棒极了。
          18. COME OUT SWINGING:to be confrontational and strongly defend yourself at
the beginning of a debate
          18.相互进行攻击:辩论初始,对抗性地、强烈地捍卫自己的观点
          Our local MP came out swinging against the current leadership and demanded
that the government resign.
          当地议员站出来反对当前的领导班子并要求重组政权。
          19. HANG IN THERE: wait and be patient
          19.坚持下去:耐心等待
          I know you’d really like to call him, but I don’t think that’s the right
thing to do now. Just hang in there and he will call you.
          我知道你想给他打电话,但这并非一个明智之举。在等一会儿,电话就来了。
          20. SHOOT FROM THE HIP: to speak directly
          20.信口开河:直言不讳
          If you want to get on well with your boss, try not to shoot from the hip
next time. You don’t want to offend him, do you?
          如果你打算跟老板好好相处,下次就别冲他大喊大叫。你不想冒犯他的,对吧?
          21. GO THE EXTRA MILE: to make a special effort/try very hard to achieve
your goal
          21.付出更多努力:极其努力以实现目标
          If you want to become proficient in English, you’ll have to go the extra
mile and start learning idioms.
          要想精通英语,你必须付出极大努力,还要学习习语。
          22. RUNNING ON FUMES:to continue to stay awake when feeling exhausted
          22.精疲力尽以后继续奋战:极度劳累的状态下保持兴奋
          I’m sorry, but I’ve got to go home now. I haven’t slept for twenty hours
and I’m running on fumes.
          不好意思,我现在必须得回家。我已经连续20小时没有休息了,早就筋疲力尽了。
          23. SOLD ME OUT:to snitch on someone, or let their secret out
          23.出卖:揭发别人或泄露他人秘密
          I asked you to keep it to yourself! I can’t believe you sold me out, I
trusted you!
          我嘱咐过你一定得保密!没想到你竟然出卖我,亏我那么相信你!
          24. YOU SOLD ME (ON SOMETHING): you convinced me of something, because you
were persuasive
          24.你说服了我(某事):说服力强,让人信服
          OK, you’ve sold me. I’ll go to the match with you.
          好吧,听你的,我跟你一起参加比赛。
          25. BLEW ME AWAY: when something blows you away, you’re extremely impressed
by it
          25.被彻底打败:被某物深深迷住,无法自拔
          The exhibition just blew me away. I’d never seen so many beautiful
paintings before.
          我被这个展览彻底吸引了。在此之前,我从未见过如此美妙的画作。
          26. BLOW SMOKE:to exaggerate or say things that aren’t true to make you
seem better/ more knowledgeable than in reality
          26.说空话:夸大并不可靠的假象以显得更加真实
          I’m not blowing smoke. I have honestly read War and Peace by Tolstoy.
          不说大话,我真的读过托尔斯泰的《战争与和平》。
          27. CRY WOLF: to call for help when you don’t need it
          27.谎报军情:在不需要帮忙的时候请求帮助
          Do you think Peter is in trouble or is he just crying wolf?
          你觉得皮特真的遇上麻烦了还是谎报军情?
          28. COULDN’T CARE LESS:used to express total lack of interest in
something
          28.漠不关心:表示对某事极不关心
          That man stole a bottle of wine from the shop.
          -Oh, really? I couldn’t care less.
          那人从商店偷了一瓶酒。
          -是吗?对此我一点都不关心。
          29. BE CHUFFED TO BITS:to be pleased and happy
          29.心满意足:感到愉悦或开心
          Hey, thanks for the present! I’m chuffed to bits.
          你能来,我太开心了。
          30. FEELING UNDER THE WEATHER:to be ill or unable to do regular
activities
          30.感觉不适:生病或无法正常活动
          I think I’m going to have to take the day off work. I feel quite under the
weather today.
          身体有些不适,今天我得请假。
            
            

enone 发表于 2017-4-6 17:40:58


          31. BE TICKLED PINK: to be excited and happy
          31.乐坏了:十分开心
          She was tickled pink by all the compliments she’d received.
          听到那些赞美之言,她乐坏了。
          32.A BAKER’S DOZEN: thirteen
          32.面包师的一打:意为十三
          Check out our baker’s dozen language learning tips.
          看看这十三条语言学习技巧。
          33. COMFORT FOOD: food that makes you feels better, because it reminds you
of your childhood
          33.爽心食物:让人感到安慰、掀起童年记忆的食物
          After a tiring day, it’s so nice to make some comfort food and settle down
with a good book.
          忙碌一天后能够吃到爽心的食物,轻轻松松看会儿书,真好啊。
          34. SKELETON CREW: the minimum number of people needed to keep a
service/office operating
          34.核心人员:少数不可替人员或操作项目
          Can you come back after the holidays? We’re operating with a skeleton crew
at the moment.
          假期过后能尽快回来吗?我们正在处理一项核心操作。
          35. LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY:to let something happen, no matter
what happens next
          35.不顾后果:执意做某事,不管后果如何
          I must tell John how I feel about him, let the chips fall where they
may.
          无论发生什么后果,我都得告诉约翰自己对他的看法。
          36. NO-BRAINER:an easy decision
          36.明摆的事:显而易见的事
          Do you think I should propose to Judy?
          -Come on, it’s a no-brainer. She’s such a fantastic woman!
          我该向朱迪求婚吗?
          -这还用说,她多动人啊!
          37. A STONE’S THROW: very near
          37.一步之遥:非常近
          The hotel was a stone’s throw from the beach. I loved it.
          这家酒店离沙滩一步之遥,我很喜欢。
          38. HEAR ON THE GRAPEVINE:to hear a rumor or unconfirmed story
          38.小道消息:谣言或未经考证的消息
          I heard on the grapevine that Charlie and Sarah are dating at the
moment.
          据小道消息,查理和萨拉订婚了。
          39. SIT ON THE FENCE: to stay neutral and not take sides
          39.脚踩两只船:保持中立
          Well don’t you think I’m right, he’s been acting differently hasn’t he?
          -I’m sitting on the fence with this one; you’re both my good friends.
          你不认为他已经变了,要站在我这边吗?
          -你俩都是我的好朋友,对此我保持中立。
          40. TAKE WHAT SOMEONE SAYS WITH A PINCH OF SALT:regard something as
exaggerated, or only believe a part of something
          40.将信将疑:认为某事被放大,对某事半信半疑
          Did you hear what Tina said happened in the office yesterday?
          -Oh, I would take anything she says with a pinch of salt.
          你有听到缇娜昨天在办公室说的话吗?
          -我对她讲的所有内容都半信半疑。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 常见英语习语必备 让英语交流不再难!