英语自学网 发表于 2016-7-14 23:54:28

每日英语:爷爷真是老当益壮

  1. I was only a hick town lad at that time.
          当时我只是个村里来的傻小子。
          ►hick 和city slicker 这两个词分别是城里人和乡下人对对方的贬称。hick的意思是“乡巴佬,土包子”。slick字面意思是“圆滑的,油滑的”,所以一个city slicker 也就是说话很圆滑,衣着很时髦,但是很可能是一个不老实、不可信任的家伙。
          2. She’s such a pathological liar.
          她撒谎成性。
          3. I need to confer with my lawyer.
          我要见我的律师。
          ►confer with 商讨,交换意见
          e.g. I'll confer with him on the subject. 我将和他商议这件事。
          4. How’s he like? Warts and all.
          他这人怎么样?照实说(不要隐瞒他的缺点)。
          ►warts and all 不掩盖地,据实地,毫无保留,不隐瞒任何缺点
          e.g. He said l would have to accept myself, my warts and all, and that we don't get to choose our warts. They are a part of us and we have to live with them. 他说我将不得不接受我自己,包括缺点以及一切,我们无法选择自身的缺点,他们是我们的一部分,我们只能接纳。(《玛丽和马克思》 )
          - My dream? My dream wouldn't be complete... without you in it. I love you, Naveen.
          - Warts and all?
          - Warts and all.
          5. Survival of the fittest. God’s honest truth.
          适者生存,天经地义。
          6. You can’t fight destiny.
          人不能跟命争。
          7. They exchanged conspiratorial glances.
          他们交换了一下眼色。
          ►conspiratorial glance 阴险的目光
          8. Grandpa is old but hale.
          爷爷真是老当益壮。
          ►old but hale 老当益壮
          hale and hearty 精神充沛的,矍铄的;老当益壮的,健壮的
          9. Three bourbons, straight up.
          三杯波旁威士忌,不加冰。
          ►straight up 真的,确实;直率地,真实地;(酒)不加冰块的
          e.g. I'm gonna give this to you straight up. 我就坦白说吧。
          But I gotta be straight up. Straight up. 但我必须坦白地说.坦白地说...
          10. We must not flinch.
          我们不能退缩。
        (兼职编辑:杨帆)
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 每日英语:爷爷真是老当益壮